· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

Default Dwarf or Pygmy Gourami Possible?

0 Not allowed!
    So I have had my 10g running for over a month now. My 5 diamond tetras and 2 otos seem to be doing fine. I was hoping I could kind of get 1 bigger show fish to complete my stocking. First, do you think it would be possible to fit in a Dwarf or Pygmy gourami? I understand they are both smaller than the normal size but what are the differences between them? Would one be more compatible than the other?

Thanks for the .
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 dwarf gourami in my 55g. Not sure how well they would do in a 10g, since they like to stake a territory in the tank I've noticed, might be a problem for your other fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Time for a slushie! - Rue   CHILL OUT! - Lady Hobbs   Thank You - MeganL3985   happy belated birthday - angelcakes   for giving me a gift - troy   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Bolivian Ram   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a dwarf in my ten, and previously I've had two, and they were good together, in fact they seemed to get along really well, however, it may be different for you.
    My Current Aquariums

20 gallon, Two blue gouramis, One Danios, Two albino coreys and five red guarres.
    75 gallon mbuna tank, Four yellow labs, Four rusty cichlids, One red zebras, pair of Eureka peacocks
    10 gallon planted- Six Caridnal tetras,
    another 10 gallon, and newts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    If I did get 1 would you recommend pairing them or are they ok by themselves?
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Time for a slushie! - Rue   CHILL OUT! - Lady Hobbs   Thank You - MeganL3985   happy belated birthday - angelcakes   for giving me a gift - troy   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Bolivian Ram   

0 Not allowed!
    I would only get one, pairing them is taking a risk.
    My Current Aquariums

20 gallon, Two blue gouramis, One Danios, Two albino coreys and five red guarres.
    75 gallon mbuna tank, Four yellow labs, Four rusty cichlids, One red zebras, pair of Eureka peacocks
    10 gallon planted- Six Caridnal tetras,
    another 10 gallon, and newts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Welcome to the board! - Mith   Thanks for speaking your mind even though you are new - William   Congrats on the awards! - Jaster   Thanks! Heres on for you too :) - iZinedane   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree and would only get one Dwarf. If you are after a bigger show fish, then the Dwarf is much better I feel than the Pygmy Gourami.

The Pygmy is a beautiful little fish and really, it only stays very little and it may be a problem at feeding time as the other fish may get to the food first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmy_gourami

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Embers
    I agree and would only get one Dwarf. If you are after a bigger show fish, then the Dwarf is much better I feel than the Pygmy Gourami.

The Pygmy is a beautiful little fish and really, it only stays very little and it may be a problem at feeding time as the other fish may get to the food first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmy_gourami

Hmm yeah my tetras basically swarm the food and it is gone within about 10 seconds... so maybe 1 dwarf would be a better choice. I love my tetras but I'm just looking for a fish that stands out a little more but is peaceful and small enough to comfortably fit in a 10g. Thanks for the heads up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Welcome to the board! - Mith   Thanks for speaking your mind even though you are new - William   Congrats on the awards! - Jaster   Thanks! Heres on for you too :) - iZinedane   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah! I don'think the Pgymy would stand out amounst them. I definitely wouldn't pass up on getting them though if you can get another tank and just keep a group of them, they are rather hard to get over here!

What about a Honey Gourami? they stay approx. the same size as Dwarf's, not quite sure if they would be compatible but they are very peaceful. I have a lovely Sunset Hone Gourami in with my Ember Tetras he doesn't bother anyone and vice versa and he compliments the Embers colouring beautifully.

A Lot of Dwarf gouramis these days seem to be quite sickly I believe, could be wrong on that though!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Embers
    Yeah! I don'think the Pgymy would stand out amounst them. I definitely wouldn't pass up on getting them though if you can get another tank and just keep a group of them, they are rather hard to get over here!

What about a Honey Gourami? they stay approx. the same size as Dwarf's, not quite sure if they would be compatible but they are very peaceful. I have a lovely Sunset Hone Gourami in with my Ember Tetras he doesn't bother anyone and vice versa and he compliments the Embers colouring beautifully.

A Lot of Dwarf gouramis these days seem to be quite sickly I believe, could be wrong on that though!
    Yeah haven't looked too much into the different species of gourami's but the sunset honey's could definitely be a possibility. Will probably have to go to my LFS and look at them all in their tanks to decide lol. Perhaps next weekend I'll try to get one has tomorrow I think every place is close for Easter. Are their any dwarf species I should definitely avoid due to aggression?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure of all the different Dwarf species, but I think all Gouramis can be territorial to different degrees. I do feel Dwarf Gouramis can be more aggressive/territorial than Honey's (particularly when ready to breed and towards their own kind). If you only have one, I feel it does seem to lessen aggression considerably and generally peaceful. As Ryuu mentioned, it is often different for each individual and sometimes we don't know how fish will react until they are in the tank. I did have a Dwarf a few yrs ago and he kept chasing all the other fish.

At least with the shops closed, it gives you time to think about it and read up on the what the best choice of Gourami might be for your tank.

I don't know if Honey's are widely available where you live, but they are harder to come by here. The Dwarf seems to be the more popular one that the LFS' stock, but my personal preference is the Honey!