· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Anyone know what kind of catfish I have?!

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought a catfish from a LFS and the worker had no clue what kind it was. She said it was Julii Cory cat, but it's huge and doesn't have the same colouration as a Julii. It's about 3.5 inches, here's a picture...

The one I have looks exactly the same as this picture. I have algae wafers and sinking shrimp pellets, anything else that would be good for him to eat?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

0 Not allowed!
    Nope, not a Juli, looks more like a simple Corydora aenus.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I googled that species and I believe you are right. Is it normal for a petstore to sell an adult one?! Mine is full grown, but he's really cute and active. I'm worried he's going to die, as this is my first catfish ever! I gave him a shrimp sinking pellet today and it's funny how they find food. I think maybe I should add some more in two weeks or so, so he feels like he's in a pack? Hopefully he lives that long. I just bought him today, but am quite worried, lol!
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea Corydora are schooling fish, they feel more confortable and relaxed with at least 6-7 in the tank.
    Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

0 Not allowed!
    Bronze Cory. I have one in my 20g long that's almost 3" long.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I think Iam going to do a catfish tank with 2 dwarf gourami. Since my cory is new just today, i have been observing him with my 5 other fish. I have one furcatas rainbow, and he has claimed the cory as his friend!!! at first I thought he was chasing the cory, but he just follows the cory around everywhere! the rainbow swims right beside the corys face and goes everywhere with him! The cory will even bump into the rainbow, and the rainbow will stay by his side. I think he stays with the cory because he does not fit in with the gold cloud minnows. he trys to swim with the minnows, but they dart away from the rainbow quickly! So funny to watch this, especially since the cory is like 5 times bigger than the rainbow.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
    Thanks! I googled that species and I believe you are right. Is it normal for a petstore to sell an adult one?! Mine is full grown, but he's really cute and active. I'm worried he's going to die, as this is my first catfish ever! I gave him a shrimp sinking pellet today and it's funny how they find food. I think maybe I should add some more in two weeks or so, so he feels like he's in a pack? Hopefully he lives that long. I just bought him today, but am quite worried, lol!
    Cories are really great fish! You will want to get him some buddies though. Also, with proper care Cories can live 15+ years, so I wouldn't worry about him being too old or anything.
    36 gallon bowfront - "Hector" the Dwarf Gourami, 3 Peppered Corydoras, "Big Eric" the Rubberlip Pleco, "Killwillie" the German Blue Ram, and 9 Rummynose Tetras, 1 true Siamese Algae Eater

20 gallon long; Planted & Aquascaped (Dwarf Hairgrass, Scarlet Temple, Lace Java Fern, Red Ludwigia) - Female German Blue Ram, 4 Oto's, 11 Neon Tetras