· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Shrimp safe intestinal parasite killer?

0 Not allowed!
    I found this in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    I highly urge you to preemptively treat your cories with something that kills both intestinal worms and internal protozoan parasites. I've had experiences whereby I buy a group of cories and have them gradually get thin and die one by one over the next few weeks until only a few remain, and you seem to be on the same path. It is not likely that every single batch of cories will be like that, but I do not consider it a coincidence that treated fish don't die, but the first batches that I neglect to treat out of inexperience did.
    Cories are delicate and slow feeders that go through a lot of stress and starvation when moved from wherever they were farmed and when in a store, so they seem to be particularly prone to pick up diseases.
    And it makes a whole darn lot of sense, as I've had a couple batches of pygmy cories go this way.
    I want to keep some dwarf cories (C. Habrosus) in my 29 biocube that I'm setting up, and I don't want to buy a little group and have most of them die off on me. Thing is, I also want to keep cherry shrimp in there, so I don't want to kill them. I have this stuff that's a plant-based medicine, safe for everything, that I used to kill off ich this one time... Kordon Ich Attack, it's called. The bottle says it's for external diseases, so I'm pretty sure it won't work on internal stuff, but does this company make a similar product for internal things? If not, what do you suggest that won't hurt shrimp? I may or may not pick them up when I get the cories, but I can keep them out if I have to. Thing is, I'm worried that the sand/plants/deer skull/filter will absorb and retain the stuff, and that'll poison the shrimp even if I'm not treating when I add them.
    Any suggestions for cory meds?
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Prazi-pro is the safest anti parasite (internal & external parasite) med that I have used. It is not very effective on ick tho
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not worried about ich, that was totally eradicated and this is a different tank anyway.
    Alright, thanks. Anyone else have imput? Suggestions?
    Do you suppose this stuff is safe for frogs? Just out of curiosity...
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

1 Not allowed!
    You could contact the company directly to find out

http://www.uskoi.com/prazipro.htm
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I've used prazi pro in a tank loaded with plants, Amano shrimp, nerites and malaysian trumpet snails, so I believe it is safe to say praziquantel is plant, filter and invertebrate safe.

1 Not allowed!
    And if you do contact them, we'd all love to hear what they have to say about prazipro because I use this stuff a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You could contact the company directly to find out

http://www.uskoi.com/prazipro.htm
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"