· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Rough Rainbow

1. Default Rough Rainbow

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all

I have four gold cloud minnows and one furcatas rainbow and one cherry shrimp. I notice the rainbow chasing the minnows around. I've observed him for a while and I don't see him nipping the minnows fins, just chasing. Is everything ok? I was thinking maybe he was just making it known that he is the boss of the tank, but not too sure.
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

0 Not allowed!
    The reason the rainbow is acting thusly is you're keeping him improperly. Rainbows are schooling fish, and being alone is so unnatural for him, he's turned into a pest of tankmates. If you had eight of that rainbow species you wouldn't have the problem.

Since your tank is still so new, perhaps a trio added when the tank adapts to its present bioload, then a quartet the next week, would give you a proper school.

You could also add four more white clouds to your group, but additions should be made in small numbers every other week to avoid ammonia surges in a new tank.

Save

Dave

Awards Showcase

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs A gift - Tolley A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey You've been a great help, and a great addition to the forum! - harls_aussie For getting into SA  cichlids! - MCHRKiller 
    For all your support and kind comments. - Brookfish merry christmas - cocoa_pleco Seasons Greetings, Have a great Christmas! - Brookfish Have a Merry Xmas! - Demi ^_^ Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey merry freakin Xmas! :D - MCHRKiller Thanks for the help! - cer Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Happy Holidays! - korith Thanks for all your help - your a great mate! - Demi ^_^ thanks for trying to help me ID - The Red Severum thanks again! - The Red Severum You are an awsome person of my AC family - Demi ^_^ 

0 Not allowed!
    I totally agree. The fish want to be in larger groups. And more so with the Rainbow. It feels so out of place and timid, that it will kill the others off to feel safer.

So to fix the problem some more fish is all that is needed.

mac
    Be a responsible fish keeper! Study before buying!
    Never give in to impulse buying of Aquatic Fish.

Dairy 2IC. NZ Dairy Holdings.
    Turbo fan. Nothing beats a turbo at the lights.
    Oh sorry officer did not realise I was dragging.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had four of these rainbows and he always chased them as well. Then they passed away from the beginning stages of cycling. I later added two more and they died too. So, unfortunately I learned that the place I had bought them from sells unhealthy fish. As others have bought fish from there (fish experts) and they always die. But I just recently bought a cory cat and made a post about it, and the rainbow has made a serious friend!
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows