· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   Just a little something to wet your whisle - Lady Hobbs   Thanks, and good luck with the 'scape! - doug z   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   Sorry for you loss! - Little Embers   

Default Fluval 305 Keeps Stopping

0 Not allowed!
    My very new (2 months) Fluval 305 keeps stopping. I take it apart, rinse it all out and re-prime it and it starts again. I try priming it without emptying it first and that doesn't work. Any ideas why this is and how to stop it?
    120 Gallon Freshwater - Planted

“Every measure which establishes legal charity on a permanent basis and gives to it an administrative form creates thereby a class unproductive and idle, living at the expense of the class which is industrious and given to work.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds to me as you as sucking in air from somewhere. Do you have a bubbler or airstone anywhere near the intake tube?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   Just a little something to wet your whisle - Lady Hobbs   Thanks, and good luck with the 'scape! - doug z   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   Sorry for you loss! - Little Embers   

0 Not allowed!
    I never run my air bubbler, but both outputs are about 6 - 8 inches from the intake.

“Every measure which establishes legal charity on a permanent basis and gives to it an administrative form creates thereby a class unproductive and idle, living at the expense of the class which is industrious and given to work.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Somethings messed up. Is it when the water level drops, perhaps? I know all the hose connections have to be underwater.

One of my fluval 305 can be a bear to prime. I have to sometimes tip it to get it going and let it run for awhile to push the air out then set it upright again. The other is never a problem and never even needs a prime.

The hoses need to be straight up and down, too, with no huge slack in them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Shouldn't be that either. I never let my water level drop more than about an inch. Getting it primed and running isn't a problem. It'll run a couple of days and then stop.

The one thing that I didn't mention is that I had a bit too much media in the bottom basket and the second one didn't click in tight. So, maybe it was riding up to far and the impeller wasn't working right.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first fish - Lady Hobbs   A gift to my mates. - mac   Did you say tankards?  LOL - sandy_n   To your first almost cycled tank - Lady Hobbs   No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I think Miss Hobbs is correct. Short of a mechanical motor failure (which youre not describing)...what your describing is air related. I've had that problem before (though I have had different filters). I'm assuming this is a canister type. Check hose connections....AND possible cracks in the lid or canister itself. -t has to be air.
    Yup, I got fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

0 Not allowed!
    Is the connection where your hoses go into the intake and return well below the water line? Do you have more than 4.5 feet of head? When you say you need to "re prime" do you mean with the plunger, or just opening the valve and letting the can fill with water? If you need to use the plunger each time, you are losing prime due to air intrusion. When you say the filter stops, does the impeller stop turning, or does it keep turning but stop pumping water? There are a few places where air can get in; the main o ring that seals the pump head, the aqua stop valve connections(both the hose connections and the pump head side) And then the other side of the hoses where they go into the rubber fittings(which should be under water) Mine's about the same age and it's working good so far.

--chris

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin24h
    Is the connection where your hoses go into the intake and return well below the water line? Do you have more than 4.5 feet of head? When you say you need to "re prime" do you mean with the plunger, or just opening the valve and letting the can fill with water? If you need to use the plunger each time, you are losing prime due to air intrusion. When you say the filter stops, does the impeller stop turning, or does it keep turning but stop pumping water? There are a few places where air can get in; the main o ring that seals the pump head, the aqua stop valve connections(both the hose connections and the pump head side) And then the other side of the hoses where they go into the rubber fittings(which should be under water) Mine's about the same age and it's working good so far.

--chris
    The impeller stops turning. Guess I should have made that clearer.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for cracking a heater - cocoa_pleco   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Have a great Holiday! - Northernguy   Nice tank! - Northernguy   Happy Birthday eh! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Is it sucking up any sand or anything?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by geowashlaw
    The impeller stops turning. Guess I should have made that clearer.
    OK cool. How about the "priming" question? DO you have to use the plunger? If the impeller were to just stop and everything else is as it should be, you should not have to use the plunger to re prime. You should be able to close the valve, take it apart and put it back together, then open the valve and water should flood back into it from the tank as you have a solid siphon. If you have to use the plunger, you got an air leak. In that case what is probably happening is you get air penetration into the system to the point where you lose "prime" and then the impeller runs dry. Once the motor gets hot it shuts off(i think they have a thermal protection in them). You come along and re prime and everything runs as normal. Start at each end of the tubing--make sure those connections are good and the ones in the tank are fully under water.

--chris