· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A lucky Neon for you! - Northernguy   

Default Ok starting the cycling with fish, now the ?s

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up a bottle of test strips yesterday that tests for pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Hardness, and Alkalinity, so I need to get him an ammonia test kit as well if I am understanding correctly, which I will do tomorrow.

We added 6 neon tetras today, I didn't know about the cycling without fish heck I didn't know about cycling a tank at all before tonight. We set the tank up about a week and a half ago and dechlorinated the water with the packet included in the fish tank and let the filter and therometer run after we set it up.

Now if we are to change the water using non-chlorinated water do we need to buy distilled water or get the stuff to add to the tap water proir to putting it in the tank?

Are we adjusting the pH each time we test if need be or are we only looking at ammonia and nitrites?

Oh we have a 10 gallon tank with silk plants not real ones. The guy at the pet store said we didn't want live plants because that meant special lighting and more testing and such so we got the fish, silk plants, and Tetra Starter for freshwater tanks (which we put in the tank when we put the fish in the tank). He did tell my son to wait a month before getting another species of fish because the neons would do better if they could get their territory established first.

I am hoping this process goes well since it has been started as a 4H project and my son wants to have more fish. He is actually reading about fish and tanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko   Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko   stocking Rams - Algenco   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker   

0 Not allowed!
    get some dechlorinator like prime... and just use your tap water
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Prime or Aqua plus will work and just use tap water.Follow the directions and don't worry if you use a little too much.
    Also get a bottle of Tetra Safe Start to kick start your cycle.Its the better one out there.IMO
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko   Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko   stocking Rams - Algenco   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker   

0 Not allowed!
    NG are you gettin paid for those commercials for tetra safe start?? if not i'd be talkin to someone LOL
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It was the Tetra Safe Start that we used, the guy at the fish store said it would help to 'protect' the fish. He never said a word about 'cycling the tank', when asked about more fish he just said wait about a month so the Neons have determined their territory.

I am so glad that I found this site, I only wish I would have found it sooner so the poor fish didn't have to go thru this. My son has named his 6 little neons (and he swears he can tell them apart).

We have the test strips and are planning a water change this morning. Should he test the water before or after (or both) we change it?

I got the test strips because of the ease, I want him to do most of this project and felt the mixing of solutions might be a bit much at first. His dad and I are guiding him and helping him trying to find the answers to his million and one questions.

I also picked up a bottle of AquaSafe to dechlorine, but it doesn't say how long I need to let new water set before adding to the tank. I am assuming that we treat the new water before adding it to the tank?

He is really excited about this project and is learning (reluctently) to have patience, he really wants to add a couple of Danios and a Cory Cat or two. The wait is killing him, he is 11 yrs old and ADHD so this is a good lesson for him. But he will sit and watch these fish for hours, he has always been that way with fish.

Thanks for all the help and sorry about all the questions.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

ya need a fish! - Mith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by katrinka772

We have the test strips and are planning a water change this morning. Should he test the water before or after (or both) we change it?

I got the test strips because of the ease, I want him to do most of this project and felt the mixing of solutions might be a bit much at first. His dad and I are guiding him and helping him trying to find the answers to his million and one questions.

I also picked up a bottle of AquaSafe to dechlorine, but it doesn't say how long I need to let new water set before adding to the tank. I am assuming that we treat the new water before adding it to the tank?
    The AquaSafe pretty much instantly dechlorinates the tap water. I've been taking care of my 3-yr-old's tank and have been doing water changes with it without any problems. I make sure the water is a little tepid to match the current tank temperature, give the water a good stir after adding in and put it in. The guppies rather enjoy the "waterfall" and always hang out where I usually pour it in.

On the test strips, I use 5-in-1 strips and a liquid ammonia test after the water change. I give the tank about 1/2 hr to an hour to settle before testing...just my thing, not an official rule.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok we tested before the water change and about 20 minutes after the change using the test strips.

Reading before:
    Nitrate 0-20 (closer to the 0 mark, son called 'it like 5, Mom')
    Nitrite 0
    Hardness 300
    Alkanlinity 300
    pH 8.4
    Ammonia .5- 3.0 (closer to the 3 color)

Readings after were the same other than Ammonia was closer to the .5 color.

After seeing him handle the test strips I will be getting him the liquid testing kit(s) soon, just hate to waste the money we spent on these. Hmm I wonder if Wal-Mart would give me issue taking these back to exchange for the other tests.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    It Walmart they should take them back!lol
    A liquid test kit is the best way to go.
    Daily waterchanges wouldn't hurt your tank.Get those perameters down.
    You can add the dechlorinator to your tank as you refill it .It doesnt make a big difference when you add it as long as you do.

Bushwhacker I wish they would.I could use the dough!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot we did a 20% change is that enough or too much to do everyday?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Read. And follow the steps given.

Links below.