· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Feeding Mollies

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on cycling! - fins_n_fur   

Question Feeding Mollies

0 Not allowed!
    How often should you feed mollies? i feed mine (6 adults) 3 times a day with a medium pinch of tropical flake food and a algae tablet now and then but they always swim at the top of the tank when i'm around very active and looking hungry. Ive seen posts on other sites saying once a day, 4 times a day, etc....
    Just like to know what you guys think, thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one - korith   I hope it helps with your studying... good luck! - Alfcea   Here ya go! - Wild Turkey   Thanks for your Vista help! - gabbyguppy   puffers are cool - glarior   

0 Not allowed!
    I feed mine 1-2 times per day. I just give them food and if they eat it within a few minutes I give them a little more. Have not had a problem with that unless I don't do water changes.

I know when I was out of town my neighbor fed the fish and they over fed them by a lot. The water was very nasty and I had to do 50% water changes but the mollies still acted hungry....
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    As a very herbivorous omnivore they are ideally fed many times a day. Naturally they would be feeding almost constantly. So small feedings 2-5 times a day is ideal. 2-3 is more practical.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Fishguy is probably right. My schedule only really allows me to feed the fish twice a day during the week. They seem to do alright. As long as it's a high quality food you should be fine. I've found my mollies grazing on the algae in my tank sometimes. Looking at it now you would swear there was a pleco in there.
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    That is another important factor, allowing some green algae to grow in the tank will allow them to constantly feed the way they would in nature. Culturing some algae on rocks would also be very beneficial. I think Dave66 has an article about growing algae on rocks, it is pretty simple.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

u need one to start :-) - Neon   Now you have  pair! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I feed mine twice a day. Once in the morning and again about 5pm. I made a flaked mix of Tetramin, dryed brine shrimp, blood worm, You can add algae flakes to that mix also. I mixed it all together and put it in a container. They seem fine and get the algae on the plants and tank. I only clean the tank on the front so that the mollies, plecos can get the algae on the sides and back of the tank. They are in a community tank. My mollies are always in the front of the tank when I'm looking in. I do not do water changes to my 55 gal tank and the water is fine but I use Cycle once a week and check the water parameters every week.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on cycling! - fins_n_fur   

0 Not allowed!
    Cool, thanks for the info!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Hope you are well man - robflanker   Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy Birthday - mommy1   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster   

0 Not allowed!
    I feed mine with everyone else in tank 2x a day and Sundays everyone gets a bloodworm treat. I haven't had any issues with them at all.