· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   

Talking Can I get fish now!!!?????

0 Not allowed!
    I'm kidding about the fish....I posted this in the cycling section but I am hoping to get more responses here (see how patient I am ).... Here is where I'm at right now.

Amonia 0
    Nitrite 0.2
    PH 7.6

Temps is consistantly 75 degress. How am I looking folks? Any thoughts suggestions are appreciated, easy on me now I'm a newbie
    30 g
    7 gold platys
    2 red platys
    3 pearl gouramis

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your fist Gift! - Northernguy   fellow Torontonian :) - NanoTankGuy   congrats on your first Pearl - NanoTankGuy   yeaaaaa - Lady Hobbs   Born there. Sorry about the G20 - little hawaii   

0 Not allowed!
    I would wait until the nitrite level goes down first. But I would say you're almost there. I'm only a newbie though as well, so I'm sure you will get some more help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    i believe you should have 0 of both ammonia and nitrites. have you seen any nitrates?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
    I would wait until the nitrite level goes down first. But I would say you're almost there. I'm only a newbie though as well, so I'm sure you will get some more help.
    Thanks Ashley!!
    30 g
    7 gold platys
    2 red platys
    3 pearl gouramis

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    i believe you should have 0 of both ammonia and nitrites. have you seen any nitrates?
    Hmm..my kit does not include a test for nitrate...ph,amonia,and nitrite...I know I know a master kit right? I'm going to search the net today for a master...
    30 g
    7 gold platys
    2 red platys
    3 pearl gouramis

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Have you been adding an Ammonia source?
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemerle030
    Hmm..my kit does not include a test for nitrate...ph,amonia,and nitrite...I know I know a master kit right? I'm going to search the net today for a master...
    exactly.

i could be wrong but i dont think you can really know if your tank is fully cycled without knowing if you have nitrates.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    exactly.

i could be wrong but i dont think you can really know if your tank is fully cycled without knowing if you have nitrates.
    Good enough then..I'm off to find a master kit!!! More shopping..any kind of shopping and I'm a happy girl!!! Thanks everyone!!
    30 g
    7 gold platys
    2 red platys
    3 pearl gouramis

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good posts! Welcome to the AC - Gemini   You need another gift! - Northernguy   :) - SamAnthrax   :D - SamAnthrax   

0 Not allowed!
    From what I understand of the nitrogen cycle, yes, you can tell when your tank has cycled without testing for nitrates, you just can't be certain when the water is safe for fish.

As ammonia is consumed, the nitrite levels will rise while the nitrite consuming bacteria grows, since it's slower growing bacteria you'll have a period of high nitrites. As this bacteria grows, the nitrites will drop. As nitrites are consumed they will produce nitrate. If your ammonia is being consumed and your nitrites are at 0, it's safe to say you've grown all the essential bacteria, because without the nitrospira the consumption of ammonia WILL produce nitrites that would show up on your test.

But now the problem is that you have a tank full of nitrates from the consumption of those nitrites which need removing with a water change. This is where a nitrate test comes in handy to tell you when you've changed enough water to make it safe for the fish by bringing the nitrate levels down. You could just change a bunch of water and hope for the best, but it really would be a good idea to have a test for it.

But, if the ammonia you're adding to your water is being consumed, and your nitrite levels stay at 0, you know you can at least be certain that your filter is colonized.

Mind you, if you haven't been adding ammonia, you essentially still have a tank full of tap water.
    Last edited by Glub; 03-30-2009 at 12:27 PM.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for clearing that up glub.

bluemerle. have you read the ebook? its in the left hand menu. it will tell you all about cycling your tank and when its safe to get your fish.