· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Heres the deal with the Co2 and PH. While its true, Co2 will drop your PH to some degree (usually a full point), this change is not negative in any way to your fish. This is because the hardness of your water is not changing. When fish have troubles due to PH fluctuations this is because they are experiencing what is known as osmotic shock due to a hardness change associated with the PH drop/add. The trouble with these DIY co2 units is the inability to regulate the process.

At night, plants are unable to use co2 and in fact spend the evening releasing Co2 into the water. Therefor its likely you will need to add a bubbler to your aquarium to specifically begin running the moment your lights shut off at night. If you do not do this, you may find a wiped tank in the morning not due to PH crash, but suffocation. Hope this helps.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This day/night stuff is very interesting, I've neve done anything like that. But I tent to stick with pretty hardy Fish so maybe that's the determining factor in how careful one needs to be.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drip Loop
    Heres the deal with the Co2 and PH. While its true, Co2 will drop your PH to some degree (usually a full point), this change is not negative in any way to your fish. This is because the hardness of your water is not changing. When fish have troubles due to PH fluctuations this is because they are experiencing what is known as osmotic shock due to a hardness change associated with the PH drop/add. The trouble with these DIY co2 units is the inability to regulate the process.

At night, plants are unable to use co2 and in fact spend the evening releasing Co2 into the water. Therefor its likely you will need to add a bubbler to your aquarium to specifically begin running the moment your lights shut off at night. If you do not do this, you may find a wiped tank in the morning not due to PH crash, but suffocation. Hope this helps.

The amount of Co2 released by the plants compared to a generator is miniscule! I tested my first planted tank, which was heavily planted, after 5 hours of complete darkness. The PH was as far as my test kit could tell exactly the same. Maybe Ph went up .1, maybe. I think that the exchange rate of gases at the surface is far greater then what the plants are doing. Think about how much Co2 from your generator it takes to affect your PH and that’s with the surface fairly calm. It’s probably 50-100 times more then the plants are putting out! I wouldn’t worry about aerating your tanks at night, it's pointless.

And yes it is true that PH changes due to adding Co2 have had no effect on any of my fish, including a school of 15 Cardinal Tetras I kept in my first planted tank without losing even 1 for over 3 years!

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Plant guy, airstones are run at night with co2 injection because (as co2 is not used by plants) the co2 levels rise higher than desired. The airstone is to keep the co2 levels stable throughout the night and there are many reasons this is done. Plants producing co2 at night or not doesnt really come into play, as you indicated.

Please stop digging up old threads to argue with posters. If you are looking for a debate start your own thread.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Turkey
    Plant guy, airstones are run at night with co2 injection because (as co2 is not used by plants) the co2 levels rise higher than desired. The airstone is to keep the co2 levels stable throughout the night and there are many reasons this is done. Plants producing co2 at night or not doesnt really come into play, as you indicated.

Please stop digging up old threads to argue with posters. If you are looking for a debate start your own thread.
    Oh hey, I'm really sorry man! I t was definitely not my intention to start a debate or to argue with anyone. I was just trying to state “in my experience” this is what “I” have tested to be true. I am truly sorry if anyone has taken any offence. I whole-heartedly apologize to the entire community. Sorry.

I do think that the biggest reason why in an expensive high end Co2 system you might want to shut it down at night would be simply to save Co2 so you would not need to change you canister as often.

Again, I’m not arguing with anyone it is just my thoughts. I also never said that the plants don’t generate some Co2 just that in my experience it’s not enough to raise the ph or Co2 ppm by any significant amount. So I think, except in VERY heavily planted aquariums it is not necessary to run an airstone during the evening.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Turkey

I'm not arguing, just stating what I have observed and tested.

Also, in my experience the CO2 that is in the water is leaving through the surface at a very high rate. The plants actually don't use nearly as much as is leaving through the tanks water surface. This is why I think when I tested my tank at night the waters Co2 concentration was no higher. I have turned my Co2 off without an air stone to test how long it would take for the Co2 concentration to drop back down to 4-5ppm, it took about 2 1/2 hours in my 46gal. I have also just tested last night what happens to my Co2 concentration with an airstone turned on lightly during the night. In less then 1 hour my Co2 concentrations plumeted to betwwen 3-5ppm.
    Last edited by Plant Man; 04-10-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Plant Man You posted in earlier post that you use test strips.
    Those things are dangerously inaccurate.
    That may be why you are testing so differently.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernguy
    Plant Man You posted in earlier post that you use test strips.
    Those things are dangerously inaccurate.
    That may be why you are testing so differently.
    I use both actually liquid and strips some stips are better then others but yes liquid is always the best. I am a hardcore tester. I test everything!

GH
    KH
    PH
    Co2
    Iron
    Phosphate
    NO3
    Last edited by Plant Man; 04-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    No more posts here unless you have something on topic to add.

It ended back at post #14. Plant guy, once more if you want to debate opinions on co2 do it on your own thread. The next step is a warning.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a clearer chart,

That adapter is a great idea for those who wish to use the 2 L Coke bottle as there Co2 canister. I started with that as do most I’m sure. I found that over just a few months the silicone lets go of the plastic hose and starts to leak. I think the adapter would eliminate that issue.

Nice pdf!