· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Angry

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbs
    I'd like to try the onion plant for my Silver Dollars. Heard they don't care for it much. I can't believe there's anything mine wouldn't eat tho.

Maybe you can recommend something that's a tough leafed plant that's hard for fish to eat. I know they tear into romaine lettuce but leave the center of each leaf as they can't get thru it.
    Hobbs- Couldn't find the same forum where I saw the post about inedible plants, but I did find another one. Here's a link referred to in the post, http://www.goldfishparadise.com/view...hp?articleId=6. It's to a goldfish site but, since goldfish are big plant eaters, whatever can survive their grazing should also be fine for your silver $$.

Minabird, I think you were just too good to your plants. Probably scared them getting all that love and affection.
    I think you're right. $90 for gravel?!?!? My friends think I'm nuts because of the amount of money I'm spending on my fish. BTW, my 75 lbs of fluorite arrived today. I was planning to mix this into my tanks this weekend, but I just found out today I have to do some work for a client this weekend.
    Kevin

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats really a very useful post,thanks Hobbs

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks also, good reference for my trip to the lfs. Might try me some live plants in the cycling tank.

0 Not allowed!
    The link wouldn't work for me. Silver Dollars are huge plant eaters. It's the main food. They will eat everything in the tank within a week so I will try the onion plants and put them in pots. If they try to eat them I can just take them out of the tank and plant in another.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The link wouldn't work for me. Silver Dollars are huge plant eaters. It's the main food. They will eat everything in the tank within a week so I will try the onion plants and put them in pots. If they try to eat them I can just take them out of the tank and plant in another.
    Sorry for the bad link hobbs. It was working when I first posted. Guess they don't want nonmembers looking at their info. I'll see if I can find the original link I saw about safe plants for plant-eating fish.
    Kevin

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hobbs-

here's a list of plants kept by goldfish lovers that seem to survive their foraging

Cryptocoryne
    Echinodorus
    Aponogeton
    Vallisneria spiralis
    Anubias
    Cabomba pulcherrima
    Egeria
    Alternanthera
    Lysimachia
    Kevin

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Kev, just saw your post today. duh I will check into your list and I thank you for taking the time to check it out for me. *Hugs*

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hobbs you are a genius, I have no idea about plants and was trying to figure out what to add, now all I have to do is figure out how to maintain them!

Thanks
    Tank 1
    2 shubunkins,1 fantail,1 feeder

Tank 2

1 gibby plec, 1 oscar, 1 brasiliensis
    Tank 4
    2 corys,1 gold gourami,1 gold severum, 1 green severum, 3 algae eaters, 1 convict,
    about 15 kribs, 2 widow tetra,4 glowlight tetra, 3 congo tetra

Tank 4 - Aggro - the jaguar & Psycho - the synspillum

0 Not allowed!
    I have been reading also that all crypts do well in low to moderate light as well as hydro's, jungle val and echinodorus. None of the red plants will work in lower lit tanks nor the flowering variety. Those need brighter lights. Now that I have my pearl grass, I read that it needs bright light. ppttfff! More wasted money.

I do a lot of reading in Arizona Gardens plant section. They describe quite a bit about each plant and it's requirements. Easy to see at this site just what light requirements are needed for the different varieties. http://www.azgardens.com/newaquar2.php Very expensive to order from them, however, as their shipping is $20 plus a $5 box free but they offer some HUGE plants if money is not a consideration.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-26-2007 at 02:48 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    java fern is great! i had a single java fern in a 1 gallon betta tank(my brothers) and once it started to reproduce i couldnt get rid of them. i put them in with my pleco and despite his devouring of them, theyre spreading faster than any plant ive ever seen