· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Easiest plants for beginners

0 Not allowed!
    I just copied this from a site and thought it might be of interest to anyone (including me) who is planting a tank for the first time.

Bread & Butter plants. Some plants are physically sturdy, easily adapt to various chemical and temperature conditions, and do well with standard aquarium lighting. These make great starter plants for newer hobbyists, and are a fine choice for any hobbyist looking for plants for his "Fish Tank". Popular species include Anacharis (AKA Elodea or Egeria species), Hygrophila polysperma, Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis), most Vallisneria species, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides), Amazon Swordplants (Echinodorus species), Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus, Banana plants (Nymphoides aquaticum), Onion plants (Crinum species) and the floating plant Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum).
    Toast & Jelly plants? A number of other fairly common aquarium plants are somewhat more fragile and/or a little fussier about requirements, but can be kept by most hobbyists with a minimum of effort. These would include Bacopa species, Cabomba species, Didiplis deandra, Giant Hygro (Hygrophila corymbosa), Ambulia (Limnophila species), Red Ledwigia (Ludwigia species), Myriophyllum species, Rotala indica, Sagittaria species, Aponogeton species, and Cryptocoryne species, Pigmy Chain Swords (Echinodorus tenellus) and Anubias species.
    Truffle Soufflé plants? Some plants are best left to those with a real green thumb and a willingness to spend a little extra time and money to set up a real "plant tank" with extra lighting, and possibly CO2 injection and other gadgetry. These would include the very challenging Madagascar Lace Plant (Aponogeton madagascariensis), Barclaya longifolia, Alternanthera species, Pennywort (Hydrocotyle species), Cardamine species, any of the red Rotala species, and Baby Tears (Glossostigma elatinoides).

More information on easy plants for beginnings in the plant section in the left hand menu.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 12-30-2007 at 06:02 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice post, I'll have to print it and take it with me when I'm shopping for plants :)
    10 Gallon FW with Male Betta, 1 male Endler, and 5 Zebra Danios, 100 Gallon with Sevs, Acaras, Parrots and Loaches.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

0 Not allowed!
    Finally. A listing of the easier plants. I will sticky this so it will hang around longer since planting seems to be a hot topic lately.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is a great list. My experience doesn't match up with theirs tho. They have banana plants as being bread & butter and I've read posts from others how easy this plant is to grow. Had 3 of them die on me within a couple months; finally found one that has lived longer than 4 months. And they have the red rotala species as being difficult to grow and all of the sites agree, but I think I have the Rotala macrandra and it's been growing great for me with no special requirements. Leave it to me to be the exception to this list. At least the ones I haven't had much luck with are the bread and butter ones, which are readily available and pretty cheap comparted to some of the more difficult ones to grow, which are also harder to find and more expensive.
    Kevin

Awards Showcase

thanks for good advice - hobbs ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09 We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09 
    Cheers Buddy! I appreciate it! - slingham64 for coming to Hobbs aid again - Lady Hobbs for answering 300 stupid ?? without blinking - Lady Hobbs thanks for the plant help. A clovers the closest gift to a plant. lol - cocoa_pleco Agree to Disagree....kinda - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for the help! - holbritter all you need now is some chips and salsa then you will be set. - sergo R.I.P. Canadian - gm72 I can't eat anymore. - Drumachine09 For your generosity - aliz340 
    my clado will be swimming in pop! thanks again! - xoolooxunny Have a martini on me.  It's the least I could do to say thanks for all the help you've given me. - hungryhound for kindness amd generosity - Algenco Thanks for the help all the time! - zackish Love Your Posts--Your Very Knowledgeable! :) - MeganL3985 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, from my experience, wisteria hasn't been that easy (sure it spreads, but the bottom leaves are all brownish/green from lack of light I'm assuming. My anubias isl doing amazing though, and I think they should fall under the bread and butter category, as well as Java moss (which should technically fall under "So easy you'll hate it") Swords.....meh, I would say they are kind of in the middle, because they really need quite a bit of light. My sword grows, but not well in 1.5 watts/gallon. Interestingly enough, a ludwigia in my tank (not sure of the exact specifies) is doing VERY well, and after multiple clippings and side shoots, has gone from 3 stems to a nice thick patch.

I personally would group plants based on how much light they need + what kind of water they require, as light is the limiting factor most of the time. You could say "Easy" plants such as anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, which all require very little light are easy because you can use the light that comes with your tank on them and they'll do great.
    Foshizzle.

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice list hobbs. I am thinking about slowly adding a live plant or two to my 55 gallon. Obviously starting with amazon sword or java fern. lol

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    More great information to get me off and running! Thanks.