· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's your first cory, lol - Brookfish   Until you get a real betta! - Fraoch   Don't hesitate to ask questions! - jaysee   Congrats! - Northernguy   Congratulations on getting through a very long cycle! - Fraoch   

Default Chel's fishless cycling blog

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I'd post my progress in the hope that folks more knowledgeable about this than me will check in from time to time and let me know if I am on, or off, track.

March 16 Started fishless cycling by adding 1 tsp ammonia. Ammonia over 5 ppm
    March 17 Added 2/3 tsp ammonia. Reading over 8 ppm
    March 18 Ammonia at 8 ppm none added
    March 19 Did 30% water change to reduce the amount of ammonia. New reading 4 ppm. No ammonia added. Added lava moss.
    March 20-25 No ammonia added. Ammonia 4 ppm. No nitrites or Nitrates.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    Some questions:

1. Did you read the cycling threads by Lady Hobbs?
    2. What is your temp set to?
    3. Are you running an air stone, or is there sufficient surface turbulance to encourage oxygen exchange?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Links are here in my signature.

You need not add more ammonia until the first dose has dropped down. Turn your heat up, aerate and do NO cleaning. Always use dechlorinated water and leave the chemicals in the store! People use way too many chemicals to raise and lower pH, to reduce ammonia, to reduce nitrates, to do this and to do that. grrrrrrrrrrr (I'm now venting.)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed, take it slow, be patient, and dont add any ammo-lock for crying out loud!

Air stone and heat up near 85 will speed up the process

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's your first cory, lol - Brookfish   Until you get a real betta! - Fraoch   Don't hesitate to ask questions! - jaysee   Congrats! - Northernguy   Congratulations on getting through a very long cycle! - Fraoch   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the input -- this is exactly what I need!

Yes, I've read lots, including the stuff on Lady Hobbs' tag, about fishless cycling but I'm sure I'm still bound to make missteps as this is all new to me.

I had my temp up at about 81 degrees until I added the lava moss and then scaled it back a notch, but it is still at 79. Perhaps I could remove the lava moss and just keep it in a bucket with water until I get closer to adding fish so that I can really crank up the heat unless you think the lava moss can withstand it -- I don't know enough about that.

I don't have an air stone, I've been thinking it would be good to get one. But there is significant water displacement because I intentionally left the water a little low for that very reason.

The only thing I've added to the tank (other than the ammonia) is dechlorinator. I've read that you can also just let the water sit out for the chlorine to evaporate -- any advice on how long it take for the chlorine to evaporate? But I agree with the not adding too much. From what I've read it seems like that is an early mistake that a lot of people make ... trying to put a little of this and a little of that and it ends up hurting the fish.

I did do a water change to lower the ammonia because I read that too much could inhibit bacteria growth, and that seemed to work but I haven't seen either the ammonia start to go down at all or any sign of bacteria. It's been 10 days, so perhaps it's just that this is normal and takes awhile which is okay...even though it's hard to wait!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chel
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the input -- this is exactly what I need!

Yes, I've read lots, including the stuff on Lady Hobbs' tag, about fishless cycling but I'm sure I'm still bound to make missteps as this is all new to me.

I had my temp up at about 81 degrees until I added the lava moss and then scaled it back a notch, but it is still at 79. Perhaps I could remove the lava moss and just keep it in a bucket with water until I get closer to adding fish so that I can really crank up the heat unless you think the lava moss can withstand it -- I don't know enough about that.

Its not essential, 79 is fine, but i doubt a few more degrees will hurt the java moss terribly. I had mine growing in an 85 F tank for quite some time. The bacteria will grow at almost any temp though

I don't have an air stone, I've been thinking it would be good to get one. But there is significant water displacement because I intentionally left the water a little low for that very reason.

You will need a pump and line as well, a control valve never hurts. Total: 15-20 USD, its a good thing to have one on hand. However, what you are doing with the water line will suffice for this purpose.

The only thing I've added to the tank (other than the ammonia) is dechlorinator. I've read that you can also just let the water sit out for the chlorine to evaporate -- any advice on how long it take for the chlorine to evaporate? But I agree with the not adding too much. From what I've read it seems like that is an early mistake that a lot of people make ... trying to put a little of this and a little of that and it ends up hurting the fish.

I did do a water change to lower the ammonia because I read that too much could inhibit bacteria growth, and that seemed to work but I haven't seen either the ammonia start to go down at all or any sign of bacteria. It's been 10 days, so perhaps it's just that this is normal and takes awhile which is okay...even though it's hard to wait!
    Yup, this is the part where people loose their minds, once the bacteria starts growing you will have more to keep you busy, but for right now you are just waiting for the bacteria to start growing. If you need to take out anything, water changes are the best way, you got it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Keep up the good work!
    What are you other hobbies?It will take your mind off waiting through a cycle!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The funny thing is that I picked up this hobby to do something relaxing because I am so busy with a highly demanding job, two great kids & hubby, etc ... but then I became totally obsessed with it. LOL. Patience is not my strength but this is helping me learn patience.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    We have one member here that is just awesome at fishless cycling. He is very patient and would love helping you out.

His name is Mith.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For the new Northern boy! - Northernguy   You're cycled! Congratulations! - Alfcea   In case you can't find a pygmy cory - robflanker   Congrats on the engagement! - robflanker   ... to keep you going till you get the real deal! - chel   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chel
    The only thing I've added to the tank (other than the ammonia) is dechlorinator. I've read that you can also just let the water sit out for the chlorine to evaporate -- any advice on how long it take for the chlorine to evaporate?
    My Dad says 2 days or so...

However, be careful here. Many towns, cities and municipalities have switched to chloramine rather than chlorine. Chloramine will not evaporate from the water, it must be removed with a chemical. Most dechlorinators also eliminate chloramine - check the bottle though.

Where my parents live, the municipality still uses chlorine, but here, it's chloramine. You'll find most larger areas or ones that have recently updated their water treatment systems use chloramine, there are big drawbacks with chlorination systems these days (gaseous chlorine is very dangerous, overdosing is required to get a safe residual throughout the system, etc.)