· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default House-Warming gift to myself >.<

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm bored, just moved some more stuff into the condo so i figured I would type this up while i have the time :)

As a gift to myself(corny :P) I'm going to be setting up my first aquarium once i am moved in and get the money this week to go buy the stuff. I figure that its the perfect opportunity since I will be able to cycle the tank while I finish up the last small details of the move. (fishless cycle)

I will be getting a bigger tank then i would have been using before. It looks like it will be put together using a 40 gallon tank. I want to go with a community tank for my first for a few reasons.

1. I want something that is going to be simple yet pleasing to the eyes. I don't want to have to worry about anything being incompatible down the line and eating everything else in the tank.

2. I personally like the look of community tanks :P Watching the fish school is relaxing and I think it will make a good display in the new living room.

3. I've always loved how fish interact with others of their own species, as well as other species. This is why I chose to go with a bigger tank to support multiple schools of different species.

Now, for the juicy details.

I plan to use a sand substrate. I think it will be easier on the fish, as well as the plants I want to have in there. I also feel it has more aesthetic value then gravel (IMO). Lastly, I see it as being a bit easier to maintain assuming i take the time at first to properly clean it and make sure I get the smaller particles out that are more prone to clouding a tank and free-floating.

I want to have a large piece of driftwood as not only the centerpiece of the tank, but something to build off of with various plants. I want something that is going to resemble a cave, with a tall bow allowing fish to swim under and over it.

As for plants, this part is a bit up in the air as I haven't researched them as much as everything else. I know that I do want a few Java Ferns in there, but like I said I need to do a bit more research on the topic.

Now, as for the fish, here is my pending list. I chose these fish based on their compatibility, their schooling, as well as their hardiness. Please let me know if you feel there are changes to be made:

Neon Tetra 5-6
    Zebra Danio 5-6
    Cherry Barb 5-6
    Panda Cory 4-5

Of course, I won't be adding them all at once, most likely one species a week as to allow the tank to adjust itself.

So, what do you all at AC think about this? I know it is my first tank, but I'm enjoying the research, planning, and the challenge of it all. I would greatly appreciate any info or advice you could give on this idea.

Thank you :) I'll be checking back in hopefully with a tank and such early next week.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that sounds great. Props to you for researching and not jumping right into this. It appears that you have the patience to succeed in this hobby. Your stocking looks spot on.
    55g- blood parrots, hatchetfish, SAE, bristlenose plecos
    75G-oscar

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman
    that sounds great. Props to you for researching and not jumping right into this. It appears that you have the patience to succeed in this hobby. Your stocking looks spot on.
    Thanks for the kind words :)

Us Eagles fans have to stick together these days.....

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that sounds good, but i think you could do a few more neons too. Also, consider some inverts for a nice slow moving different type of life. They're aren't for everyone but i fond them as soothing as the fish

--chris

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin24h
    that sounds good, but i think you could do a few more neons too. Also, consider some inverts for a nice slow moving different type of life. They're aren't for everyone but i fond them as soothing as the fish

--chris

I'll have to look into it :) Thanks for the info.

haven't heard of an "invert" is that a type of tetra? just trying to guess by how you worded the post.

Awards Showcase

Here is a cuter version for you. - smaug a cory for your latest sucess :) - graceluvsplatys Great new tank,! Hope it brings you lots of M.T.S lol - Ryuu Yay I got my first two awards! - Gemini No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey Thanks! - Wild Turkey 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Happy Holidays and thanks! - Brookfish For being nice :) - harls_aussie Enjoy! - Northernguy 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gemini Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Gemini Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Gemini Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Gemini Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gemini 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Gemini 

0 Not allowed!
    Inverts are invertebrates. Like shrimp.
    Your stocking looks good to me too. I would maybe bump the corys to 6 as I have found with mine that the more there is the more active they are.
    Good luck!! You should do well if your prepared to read before you start.
    Fish are friends, not an expendable entertainment device!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by IRuncities
    I'll have to look into it :) Thanks for the info.

haven't heard of an "invert" is that a type of tetra? just trying to guess by how you worded the post.
    An invert is an invertrabret(i think i spelled that ok) things such as snails or shrimp. things without a backbone. Sorry gemini I didnt know you were writing too

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mollielover
    An invert is an invertrabret(i think i spelled that ok)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini
    Inverts are invertebrates. Like shrimp.

>.< I knew that haha.

Thank you very much for the advice everyone. This is the first thing in my life i have ever had this type of patience with. although I must admit that I've had about enough reading already! I see it as the more I do now, the less I'll have to learn on the fly later when it could mean the fishes lives.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Great planning! Nice to see someone doing all their homework first.

Just between you and me,women take a thousand times more patience!
    Don't tell anybody shhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by northernguy
    Just between you and me,women take a thousand times more patience!
    Don't tell anybody shhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    unfortunately, I'm all too aware even at this point in my life.

but hey, where would be be without them? :) non-existent :P