User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first angel - smaug   No Message - troy   

Default Looking to Keep Red Piranhas

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

Ive got a 150 Gallon Tank consisting of the following inventory of fish, and am looking to keep a Pair of Red Piranhas.

2 X Butterfly Fish
    6 X Clown Loaches
    3 X Golden Gauramis
    3 X Silver Sharks
    3 X Dwarf Gauramis
    5 X Silver Dollars
    1 X Plec
    1 X Siamese Fighting Fish (Will be getting 3 females)

Ive been reading up on Reds, and from what ive come accross, they are territorial, placid (For its reputation) and like hiding and lots of cover, adn a large tank. Got this covered, but am concerned about the addition of this fish to the community. I really only want a pair as I feel that any more of a shoal will be too large, and the rest fo teh community put at risk, but am open to suggestions.

My question is, what is the nature of this fish in a community tank and what information would I be best looking at in retrospect of keeing these fine fish.

Thanks

Kai

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    You won't have anything on that list if you get a Piranha.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first angel - smaug   No Message - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    Cheers for that!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimarkhirst
    Cheers for that!!!!
    You want all your fish to be eaten? How cruel can you be?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AABatteries
    You want all your fish to be eaten? How cruel can you be?
    i think he means cheers for the answer

but yeah, no for piranhas in that tank. piranhas arent as vicious as most people make them out to be, but nature would take its course in your tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Piranha aren't community fish, they're community fish eaters. They are, however, schooling fish, and keeping 2 isn't a good idea.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! - Alfcea   you should get a gift! - Wild Turkey   Thyanks for the rep - Celtic Fins   Thanks for playing! - Brookfish   Thanks! - Agassizii   

0 Not allowed!
    Always remember your fish will always do what nature intended them to do, they dont learn tricks nor get civilized, they are still wild animals and will eat everything they can fit into their mouths.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish! - Northernguy   For being understanding - William   Here's a nice frontosa for you! Thanks! - Crispy   Thank you! - Alfcea   congrats on baby 1st 6wks is hard, also sorry about fri 13th hope this cheers you up - bluebluecow   

0 Not allowed!
    I can tell you from first hand experience, anything that goes into a tank, no matter how big it is, will be turned into piranha poop.

I had a 13" red bellied in a tank by itself. Long story short, a friend was house sitting, a tank got smashed and he needed a place to put my 8" ghost clown knifefish. The piranha had already been fed that day but the knife only lasted al of three minutes.

Plecos, catfish or any other type of "cleaner" is fair game too.

Expect a huge bio load on your tank from all the waste and plan to do water changes 1-2 times a week, minimum.

You will have a very difficult time feeding the fish anything but live food so be prepared for the expense associated with that. I used to buyminnows from a local bait shop as it was cheaper than feeders from the LFS.

That 150g is a perfect size for a piranha tank, just don't get too many. They will get to be a foot long so I'd say 3-4 max. Many people will buy baby red-bellied pirahna by the dozen because they are cheap and a school of piranha is something amazing to watch. Just remember, they will get big!
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! - Alfcea   you should get a gift! - Wild Turkey   Thyanks for the rep - Celtic Fins   Thanks for playing! - Brookfish   Thanks! - Agassizii   

0 Not allowed!
    Well if you really want to have the pirahnas then do it,fish eating fish is the most natural thing and i dont think presenting your new pirahnas with a banquet is suck a bad idea (either way hes gonna have to feed them live pray so be it) just prepare for the show. It may be cruel but watching piranhas eat its a pretty amazing thing i found some time ago a couple of videos in youtube of this, the videos are really gruesome but well nature is gruesome sometimes, i plan to have a lion fish, altho less bloody it also feeds live pray so...

Im not cruel, i love fish and have kept fish all my life i just dont think it is cruel to feed live stuff to an animal thats suposed to do so.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-11-2009 at 02:05 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    We at AC are not advocates of cruelty nor do we show it here on the forum. Therefore, those video's have been removed.

And sticking a Piranha in a tank where other peaceful fish can not escape and left to the mercury of being shredded is really quite sickening and as a person who cares for her fish, find this disgusting.

The fish are not "supposed" to be piranha food.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-11-2009 at 02:07 AM.