· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cory's barbel loss

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I have 3 julii corys in a 20g long. Their barbels used to look very healthy until about a week and a half ago. The barbels are almost all white and look a lot shorter than they used to. I've had them for almost a year now and have never experienced this before. I perform weekly water changes/gravel vacuums, changing about 30% of the water. My ammonia and nitrite levels are zero and my nitrate is near zero. My tank is moderately to heavily planted with a flourite substrate. Other tankmates are otos, rummynose tetras, and swordtails and their fry.

It looked like a fungus to me so I started to treat the tank with primafix, but after a week there is no change. Any suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

one of the reasons I changed from gravel to sand, is that iwas told that the gravel wears the barbels down over time, someones bound to correct me though

liz
    [url=http://www.fishyeggs.com/levelup.php?id=131][img]http://www.fishyeggs.com/get/131.gif[/community of guppies and b/n plecs [/COLOR]

Tank 2, 60L 2ft tank, Pair of blonde red guppies (guppy mating breeding project)

Tank 3 Nano Reef in recovery 23ishg 1 Cardinal 1 twotoned blenny

AUTISM "If you think I have my hands full, You should see my heart "

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebluecow
    Hi

one of the reasons I changed from gravel to sand, is that iwas told that the gravel wears the barbels down over time, someones bound to correct me though

liz
    No you are exactly right bluebluecow, cory's can wear their barbles
    out foraging for foor in a gravel substrate, sand is much kinder to
    their delicate barbles.
    Mike!

Awards Showcase

Here is a cuter version for you. - smaug a cory for your latest sucess :) - graceluvsplatys Great new tank,! Hope it brings you lots of M.T.S lol - Ryuu Yay I got my first two awards! - Gemini No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey Thanks! - Wild Turkey 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Happy Holidays and thanks! - Brookfish For being nice :) - harls_aussie Enjoy! - Northernguy 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gemini Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Gemini Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Gemini Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Gemini Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gemini 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Gemini 

0 Not allowed!
    Another vote for sand over gravel. Make sure that if you do use gravel it is the round type - no rough edges at all!!! They need their barbels to help locate food. Keep up the water changes and vacs.
    Fish are friends, not an expendable entertainment device!

0 Not allowed!
    Really I think all bottom feeders should have sand for I substrate. But some people may disagree.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Sand is not the only substrate that is soft enough for corys, no.
    I have always heard gravel can wear down their barbels, so i dont use it with them. Some people will debate otherwise, but regardless they do a lot better with substrate they can dig into, and will be a lot happier being able to. I use eco complete for my corys and have never had any problems. Most aquatic soils dont present much of a problem.
    Last edited by Wild Turkey; 03-10-2009 at 11:52 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have the same problem, but I have eco-complete, so that's the weird thing. I was going to make a thread then saw this. BTW sorry to hijack your thread.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AABatteries
    I have the same problem, but I have eco-complete, so that's the weird thing. I was going to make a thread then saw this. BTW sorry to hijack your thread.
    Eco complete used to have quality control issues, specifically batches that were too rough and the granules too large. I have one such bags in one of my tens i'll take out one day. They seem to have gotten better lately

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its mostly pretty fine, but there are 3 or 4 areas with bigger stuff, that is gravel size, but they're pretty round.

0 Not allowed!
    We seem to be having good luck with play sand. We've had our cories since the start of last summer and all of them have long, healthy looking barbels. Some are close to a 1/4 inch or more long

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump