· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just got 2 young Razorback Turtles, need heat and UV light and Filtration put a Placo in for cleaning and a small basking area they wont use just peek their heads out of water and you're done!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    those razorbacks will need more than a 45gal sooner or later. There isn't much in the way of a turtle that will be able to permanently live in a 45gal. There is a post below for axolotls, a 45g could work for them and I'm still hung up on how cool they look! Also fire bellied newts are awesome to watch feeding, there tank is pretty simply maintained as well.

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    There are tons of different reptiles you could go with. A lot will depend on your skill level with reptiles and the amount of time/money you are willing to put into it. Poison dart frogs are really cool. But they are harder to care for, need very small feeders like pinhead crickets, friutflys and springtails and they are not cheap. One male and one or two female tokay geckos would look nice. You could plant the tank and have a group of crested geckos. But only one male as they will fight. Crested are pretty tame and eat mostly fruit/baby food and some insects. There are all kinds of frogs and toads. Salamanders are interesting too. So are newts, but a lot of them need cooler temps.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed with the poison dart frogs; I wouldn't recommend them unless you have a lot more experience under your belt. The hardest part in keeping them is maintaining a stable, high humidity habitat, as well as culturing fruit flies and springtails to feed them, plus they're just very sensitive creatures to begin with. Most setups I see include live plants too, so that would be something else to look into.

Some pretty common, easy-to-find lizards/amphibians I can think of off the top of my head would include: leopard geckos (just found out carrot tail geckos are actually another name for/type of leopard gecko), fire-bellied toads, white's tree frogs, certain skinks (five line, schneider/berber, malaysian, fire, etc.), a sandfish (really cool to watch "swim" in the sand), bahama anoles if you want another kind, and axolotls(not as common), crested geckos, and a temp home for a beardie as mentioned earlier.

If you want to go more aquarium style, check out dwarf african frogs. I have one and he is pretty amusing to watch.

Although not very common quite yet (especially captive bred), check out collared lizards. There's a few breeders you can buy from online or you may be able to find them at a reptile show or something. Pretty easy to care for and very entertaining little guys (they can run up to 16 mph on their hind legs!). Here's a picture of the pair my girlfriend and I just picked up a few weeks ago.

If you do go this route, I'd only recommend one, though, unless you upgrade the tank later since they need a lot of room to run.

IF you get over your fear of snakes , most colubrids can be housed comfortably in a cage that size. Corn snakes and milk snakes are just about everywhere and are very easy to care for. If you get them as babies, you can slowly get used to owning a relatively bigger snake. I have a baby corn snake and he's not much bigger than a worm; I've actually seen larger worms.

That mouse he is easting is probably about the size of the first section of your pinkie to give you a good idea of his size. How can you not want that?

0 Not allowed!
    Finally someone mentions snakes. I have a rosy boa and I love her.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevelt
    I have lots of tanks, 9 I think.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Collards will need a lot of room I have a pair in a 45 gallon tank and believe me they use every inch of it, and you can house 2 Razorbacks in a 29 gallon aquarium, they only grow to 5 inches. Give the watr a depth of about 6 inches when young and 1 foot when just over a year old, and give them basking area just under the suface as they rarely rise, when young anyway.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtledean
    Collards will need a lot of room I have a pair in a 45 gallon tank and believe me they use every inch of it...
    Yeah we built our own custom enclosure for them. Measures to 4' x 2' x 2'. Roughly 120 gallons using a calculator, though the footprint is what matters most I suppose. I'm sure they'll be very pleased with the running room. They're currently sitting in a 20 long temporarily until it's done, but they're still tiny yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    Heh, you'd probably like it at our house. We have 12 and 8 of them are different kinds of boas. People normally have a bad connotation with snakes, but most in the pet trade (excluding venomous) are actually really nice and boas have a heck of a personality too. Although maybe freshwaterfishlover just can't have snakes in an apartment or something? If not, and you want to look into them, even though you said you didn't lol, one thing I tell people to put things in perspective is that I would much rather be bitten by a snake than a dog any day. I've been bitten by both and would rather be bitten several times over by one of our 5'+ boas than my little 12 year old boston terrier; half the time you don't even feel it happen, you just see drops of blood all of a sudden. Something else to ponder... there have been something like 20 deaths related to captive reptiles in the past 20 years or something (I forget the exact stats on this), none of which were from boas, and then go and look at how many deaths and maulings there have been from dogs just in one year alone. And they want to ban boas and pythons?? Just cuse dogs are the "all-american" pet and they're cute and have fur excuses them for killing people I suppose, but one thing with scales is found near a baby in Florida and stuff hits the fan. Anyway, I'm done ranting, snakes are cool pets is the point .

Another lizard to look into since I'm posting...
    A uromastyx is very similar, care wise, to a bearded dragon. You may need to upgrade the cage later if you get one, though. I'm not entirely sure what is recommended for them off the top of my head. The 12" depth is what might do it. Most will have a lot of yellows/blacks/oranges to them and I'm sure there's a bunch of more expensive morphs out there too if you would want something like that. You can do a google image search to get an idea of what they look like .

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    Snakes are great, but the OP said no snakes. It would make a great nature terrarium for a couple of garder snakes or green snakes. Rosy boas and sand boas would work, or even a ball python. Cornsnakes or some of the milksnakes.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I suppose you're right, didn't even look at the dates . I just use "new posts" and saw this pop up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12