· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish! - Northernguy   For being understanding - William   Here's a nice frontosa for you! Thanks! - Crispy   Thank you! - Alfcea   congrats on baby 1st 6wks is hard, also sorry about fri 13th hope this cheers you up - bluebluecow   

Default Aiptasia - glass anemone infestation... HELP!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Here's my problem... major infestation of aiptasia in my tank. I have heard of many "gaurenteed" ways to get rid of them, and I've tried a few but want the AC's collective opinion on how to rid my tank.

I've heard of injecting vinegar, lemon juice (I've done this), using Joe's Juice, peppermint shrimp, copper banded butterfly fish, and Berghia Nudibranch. Everyone of these methods has people who say it is the best method but I am looking for some hard evidence!

Have any of you actually cleared a tank of glass anemone? How did you do it? What methods have you tried that failed? Are there any other methods not listed here that work?

Here are some photos of my tank to show you how out of hand this problem has become. I am almost ready to rip apart the tank and start from scratch...

100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    The best method I've found is to mix up a Kalk paste using 15 drops of water and 1/2 tsp of Kalk powder. Then using an eye dropper, squirt is directly into the mouth of the anemone. Others have suggested using a sharp needle to carefully inject Reef Iodine, or vinegar into the foot of the aiptasia. All 3 of these methods have been very successful. The idea behind the Kalk and the Vinegar is that it causes a drastic change in the internal pH of the Aiptasia or at least in the immediate area of the anemone and the anemone dies as a result. Obviously, any of those methods require caution because they can effect the entire tank if not done right. Hope this helps.

Of course, there is always the option of getting a Copper Banded Butterfly. LOL, just kidding.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish! - Northernguy   For being understanding - William   Here's a nice frontosa for you! Thanks! - Crispy   Thank you! - Alfcea   congrats on baby 1st 6wks is hard, also sorry about fri 13th hope this cheers you up - bluebluecow   

0 Not allowed!
    Never heard of kalk powder, where can I get it?

I've tried injecting lemon juice into their foot, which works, but is very difficult. As soon as you touch them, they shrink into their hole. If I inject their mouth, they shrivel up but come back the next day.

I would like to try the copperband but have heard that they can be very difficult to keep alive in the home aquarium.

My peppermint shrimp does nothing to help, it just eats everything BUT glass anemone.
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Geez! That's bad! How did it get out of control?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent rockwork! - Rue   Thanks - aquarius56   Closest thing to a frisbee. - Sasquatch   No reason - William   Only fitting you should have this. - William   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - travie   

0 Not allowed!
    I've had success with Aiptasia X. Its killed off Aiptasia and Majano anemones in my tank. I still get the random Aiptasia pop up, but I figure that is just because it was too small for me to see when I killed off others. I haven't had any Majano problems since the initial treatment.

If you can, I would just take the rocks out with the Aiptasia on them and soak them in FW or dry them out several days.

- 29g FW - Community - Congo Tetras and a mated pair Kribensis
    - 55g SW - Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because... - alfcea   for starting a saltwater tank - cocoa_pleco   Tanks really coming together! - oldhead   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  :) - KrytterKrys   

0 Not allowed!
    We've had great luck with joe's juice. Every one we kill with it never comes back. I maybe have to kill 1 a week

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AABatteries
    Geez! That's bad! How did it get out of control?

We had a single glass anemone in the tank early on. My wife did not want to kill it as it was pretty much the only "cool" ting in the tank... you know the rest of the story!
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by travie
    I've had success with Aiptasia X. Its killed off Aiptasia and Majano anemones in my tank. I still get the random Aiptasia pop up, but I figure that is just because it was too small for me to see when I killed off others. I haven't had any Majano problems since the initial treatment.

If you can, I would just take the rocks out with the Aiptasia on them and soak them in FW or dry them out several days.

They are on every single rock in the tank. I even have hermits with glass anemones on their shells.
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rageybug
    ...My peppermint shrimp does nothing to help, it just eats everything BUT glass anemone...
    There are several types of shrimp that resemble peppermint shrimp and are often sold under the same name, but actually aren't true peppermints. That may explain the lack of performance.

In regards to the Berghia Nudibranch, how many did you use and were they adults? These only eat aiptasia and should have put a dent in your aiptasia population. You'll probably need one of these per 10-15gal of tank volume. Any less than that ratio and the reproduction rate of the aiptasia will be greater than the consumption rate of the nudibranchs.

With this level of infestation, biological control/elimination may be the only way to get rid of them.
    Last edited by kaybee; 03-07-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift, congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins   Giving me my kicks - Wild Turkey   Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins   Happy St. Patrick's Day ! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    I would try Joe's juice or Aiptasia X. All they did to my majano anemones was make them go away for a week or so, but I've heard that Joe's juice and Aiptasia X work very well in getting rid of aiptasia anemones.