· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish! - Northernguy   For being understanding - William   Here's a nice frontosa for you! Thanks! - Crispy   Thank you! - Alfcea   congrats on baby 1st 6wks is hard, also sorry about fri 13th hope this cheers you up - bluebluecow   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    There are several types of shrimp that resemble peppermint shrimp and are often sold under the same name, but actually aren't true peppermints. That may explain the lack of performance.

In regards to the Berghia Nudibranch, how many did you use and were they adults? These only eat aiptasia and should have put a dent in your aiptasia population. You'll probably need one of these per 10-15gal of tank volume. Any less than that ratio and the reproduction rate of the aiptasia will be greater than the consumption rate of the nudibranchs.

With this level of infestation, biological control/elimination may be the only way to get rid of them.

I have not actually used these, just that I've heard they can work. They are an expensive option so I wanted to hear about them here before I bought them.
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish! - Northernguy   For being understanding - William   Here's a nice frontosa for you! Thanks! - Crispy   Thank you! - Alfcea   congrats on baby 1st 6wks is hard, also sorry about fri 13th hope this cheers you up - bluebluecow   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HendersE
    I would try Joe's juice or Aiptasia X. All they did to my majano anemones was make them go away for a week or so, but I've heard that Joe's juice and Aiptasia X work very well in getting rid of aiptasia anemones.

I've heard of these but never actually seen them. I assume they are liquids that need to be injected into the foot of the anemone?
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift, congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins   Giving me my kicks - Wild Turkey   Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins   Happy St. Patrick's Day ! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    No you don't inject the foot. Included with the Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X is a needle and a syringe. You put the two together and then fill the needle up with the solution you get. You don't use it to inject the anemone you take the needle place it directly over anemone and press. The solution will come out and go onto the anemone. It should kill it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift, congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins   Giving me my kicks - Wild Turkey   Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins   Happy St. Patrick's Day ! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a picture of the two...
    Joe.jpg

Here is the needle and syringe. You can see that the tip isn't pointed. It has an opening where the solution comes out.
    Joe 2.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That looks like something I'm going to try. I've been injecting their foor with pure lemon juice and it works great but I have to do each and every anemone seperatly and if I don't get the foot, it does not work. Thanks for the tip.

Should I worry about Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X harming anything else in my tank? I have a Warty Rock anemone that is surounded by glass anemone. Will juicing them kill the Wary Rock too? What about my fish/inverts. Is it going to be safe around mushroom corals and green star polyps?
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rageybug
    That looks like something I'm going to try. I've been injecting their foor with pure lemon juice and it works great but I have to do each and every anemone seperatly and if I don't get the foot, it does not work. Thanks for the tip.

Should I worry about Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X harming anything else in my tank? I have a Warty Rock anemone that is surounded by glass anemone. Will juicing them kill the Wary Rock too? What about my fish/inverts. Is it going to be safe around mushroom corals and green star polyps?
    Neither have hurt anything in my tank, even when I use a lot of it. I even accidentally got Aiptasia-X on my zoanthids one time and it didn't hurt them. I have used both around mushroom corals, my GSP (Weird that we have some of the same corals!), my fish, and my inverts and it seems to have no effect on them at all. I'm not sure about your Warty Rock anemone. I don't have any anemones in my tank except for majano (trying to get rid of them!). I am reading the instructions that came with Aiptasia-X and this is what is says "...will not effect the sessile polyps of corals... Excess Aiptasia-X will decompose over time without casuing harm to the reef." I think that it will not hurt anything in your tank.

Here is a video of Aiptasia-X that should make things clearer...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here is another video. This guy has a mushroom coral too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for listening and supproting me thanks - mitcore   congrats on the preg - mitcore   Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   yay for saving neglected fishies!! :) - shalafi04   Happy B'day - donvichu   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh wow, that is a lot of Aiptasias isn't it!!!

Will take you a while to squirt them all, good luck Rageybug

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HendersE
    Here is another video. This guy has a mushroom coral too.

OMG... that stuff is amazing!!!

I am going to tke a look around town next week to see if I can find some. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks a ton!
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being my new buddy! - 2manyfish   A fishy for all the reef tank help : ) - ♣Erik3.8.07♣   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all the reef help! - NickFish   No Message - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    If you can get rid of all that aiptasia, you are a stud.

I think I am too impatient for all that. I would probably get rid of the rock and start over, lol.

I would be a little careful about how many of the critters you inject at one time. I remember reading a post about someone overdoing it with Joe's juice and nearly killing all of their corals.

I am going to have to agree with kaybee on this one. If you have that many anems, it is going to be really hard to get them all manually. Some form of biological control would probably be best.
    Last edited by coachfraley; 03-08-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    40g SW