· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Breeding Bettas

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Suprised You Dont Have A Gift Yet!! - MeganL3985   haha chelsea 2-man utd 1 - duce   man united buddy yay - angelcakes   They don't have a Shamrock so here's the next best thing. - Brookfish   Well done on the Angel spawn - Wetpets   

Default Breeding Bettas

0 Not allowed!
    Trying to breed a spawn of bettas, fighting fish that is. At the minute the male, Paddy, has built his bubble nest. Chica, the female, has vertical stripes (i understand it means she is ready?) also I can see the tube/ egg popping out slightly.

When I put Chica in a small container in the tank, Paddy gets all mental and looks like he wants to attack her. I am afraid to put her in now. Is this the correct behaviour? I though he would be slightly more welcoming to the female. Can someone actually tell me what his behaviour SHOULD be like as I cannot find it on the net, maybe I am not looking in the right places.

cheers
    Ghostknife

250 Ltr (66Gallon US)
    BGK, Sailfin Pleco, Bala Shark, 3 random cichlids (cannot remember their name, they are not typical though), 4 YoYo Loach's, 1 Bristlenose, 11 Rumy nose tetra, 2 Black Widow Tetra,

Latest gifts & ribbons:

If i was there with ya i'd help ya start again, but the best i can do is send you a gift guppy. - slimey   Just for being you!  hehe - Mith   For having a heart. You get a heart. =) - riot   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, some aggression is to be expected. If he has built the nest, and she has vertical stripes, it would appear that it might be time to release her. You can always jar her again if it doesn't work out. Do watch them carefully though, as they can do a lot of damage to each other...

Just read your other thread...I would not try breeding them yet, if you've just purchased the female. Both male and female need at least a week of conditioning. Breeding takes a lot out of them, and they need to be in top condition...
    Last edited by Sharon; 03-03-2009 at 01:03 AM.
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    And you need to quarantine the female for at least a month, as a lot of pet store bettas get white spot in the first two weeks after being purchased.

The dad will not eat for several days after spawning, so he needs to be fed good quality high energy food beforehand.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Suprised You Dont Have A Gift Yet!! - MeganL3985   haha chelsea 2-man utd 1 - duce   man united buddy yay - angelcakes   They don't have a Shamrock so here's the next best thing. - Brookfish   Well done on the Angel spawn - Wetpets   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ladies and gents! I will wait a couple of weeks. Then let them be in eye sight again. Will let you know!

Cheers
    Ghostknife

250 Ltr (66Gallon US)
    BGK, Sailfin Pleco, Bala Shark, 3 random cichlids (cannot remember their name, they are not typical though), 4 YoYo Loach's, 1 Bristlenose, 11 Rumy nose tetra, 2 Black Widow Tetra,