· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Keeping male and female betta's together.

0 Not allowed!
    While I know it tends to be very hard to do so, who here has kept male and female bettas together for extended periods of time besides for just mating, without any or little trouble. What kind of advice could you give for doing so? Things like tank sizes, conditions, any qualities in the fish themselves that can help make this work, male and female ratios, ect ect. It's something i'd love to try and do, but i don't want to have anyone get hurt if I can help it of course.
    29 Gallon Planted: Paired Angelfish, 8 Black Phantom Tetra's, 6 Peppered Cories, Kulhi Loach, Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift - korith   No Message - s72450   

0 Not allowed!
    I've never tried this, not sure I'd want to risk it, but on another forum I saw how someone had two females and a male in a 10 gallon tank that was heavily planted with lots of hiding spots, they'd been living together for over a month with no signs of aggresive behavior so I guess it can be done.
    55g - 5 Blood Parrots

My 55G Journal

Latest gifts & ribbons:

If i was there with ya i'd help ya start again, but the best i can do is send you a gift guppy. - slimey   Just for being you!  hehe - Mith   For having a heart. You get a heart. =) - riot   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm certainly no expert on betta's and have not been at it all that long,
    But I have 1 male crown tail with 4 females in a 10 gallon, For almost 2 weeks now. with no problems.

I have another male veil tail betta in a 20 gallon tank with 8 female betta's & a few bottom feeders, about 1 week now, no problems yet.

But I'm not to sure I'd recommend many people trying this, especially if you not there to monitor them.

I had another group that was going on two weeks and it's seems one of my females attacked him, I had to remove him promptly, he has a small scar on his head right now, If I had not been here monitoring its had to tell how bad it might have ended up, Most people work every day and that leaves alot of none monitoring along with sleeping time.

For the record, At this point I have no intentions of breeding/raising young Betta's either.
    Last edited by Chicklet; 03-02-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one - korith   All plant lovers need a plant! - Rue   Thank You! - Northernguy   Thanks Again! lol - Northernguy   For all the kind words! - Brookfish   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishlover49   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishlover49   

0 Not allowed!
    I saw the "cutest" little female Betta ever yesterday. She was so little and looking all pathetic at me. She was in one of those little, dreaded cups. It was so hard to resist getting her, but I didn't want to chance putting her in with my male. I guess I need more smaller tanks. But, I was sure wondering at the time too if you could keep a male and female together for an extended time.
    Nancy

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."