· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cobolt blue lobster

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so my fiance bought a fresh water lobster to put in her puffer tank (without me knowing). There is no puffers in there right now. I dont know a lot about either species, but im kinda thinking they the puffers might eat the lobster. At least when it is molting.

I told her to to take it out and put it in my community tank, because her tank was just put up yesterday. Even though I put my filter media from my established tank and the substrate, I figured it wasnt cycled all that well. I know some inverts can be pretty sensitive to nitrites and nitrates. It was like $22 so i really dont want it to die.
    Empty 10g
    20g figure 8 puffer
    65g FW Community
    125g African Cichlid community

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    With crayfish, it's generally recommended that they get their own tank. Just look at the claws... they're fish killing machines. The only fish that it won't try to kill and eat will be ones that are too big, and THOSE fish will try to eat the crayfish.

Puffer versus crayfish would be an interesting fight but I can guarantee one of them would wind up dead. Not a compatible purchase by any means.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would be more concerned the lobster would take a chunck out of the puffers. If he catch them that's what will happen.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    I was just thinking that puffers are natural invertebrate hunters, so they might actually be able to penetrate the crayfish's exoskeleton.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I completely agree with you both of you, but before I tell her its not an option and crush her hopes, I want to make sure.

What about my malawi tank. Im thinking that if I just kept it with mbuna they might not try to eat it, but then there is still the risk of him killing them. They would be comparative in size though.

Idk I think I am just trying to be overly hope full about the situation, because I know she will crushed when i tell her she has to bring it back to the store.

I wish she would have at least asked me what I thought first. Then again she probably would have done it any way lol. She said she almost adopted a dog today. So thank god she only came home with the lobster lol.
    Empty 10g
    20g figure 8 puffer
    65g FW Community

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    mbunas will kill it just for fun, I should think. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I don't see it going in any of your setups without either it or some fish winding up dead.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea not what I want to hear but thats kinda what I was thinking my self. The fact that it is currently in my community tank is not great either. It cost 5 times as much as most of the fish in there but I would still be pissed if it killed them.
    Empty 10g
    20g figure 8 puffer
    65g FW Community

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    I was just thinking that puffers are natural invertebrate hunters, so they might actually be able to penetrate the crayfish's exoskeleton.
    They could,but for a bit of perspective.Im a natural hunter but the bear might just be able to bite my head off before I get close enough to hit kill him with my teeth

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    They could,but for a bit of perspective.Im a natural hunter but the bear might just be able to bite my head off before I get close enough to hit kill him with my teeth
    Oh, don't be modest. We've all seen the video:

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    lol great vid wasnt that a super bowl commercial?
    Empty 10g
    20g figure 8 puffer
    65g FW Community