· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default bristlenose and salt?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys!
    I have a bristlenose plec (v.small at the moment), and I've just added some "tonic salt" as I had some guppies die (got refunded - yay).
    I was just wondering if the bristlenose would be ok with salt? I havent added much at all as I have 2 corys, and I know they are sensitive.

The tub said to add 1 tablespoon of salt for every 13 litres.....My tank is 70litres, so technically, I should have added a smidgen over 5 tablespoons of salt (I think)....but I only added 1.

I dont want to add anymore than that just yet - but I might add another tablespoon in a few days to a week so they get used to it in stages....but I wont be adding anymore than the additional spoon.

How much salt can bristlnoses tolerate?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Only add salt according to new water at water changes.

They can tolerate some, but it varies between individuals.

Based on the information shared here I don't think the tank needs salt.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Fishguy!
    Why are you adding salt to begin with?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was adding salt because I had some fish misteriously die, and I treated the water with a general tonic (incase there was anything contagious)...But Ive done some research, and it says that adding aquarium salt is good for treating most illnesses - and also for general conditioning use as it can reduce stress in alot of species.

Infact the salt pack said to add it when the water is treated with any interpet meds (taking into account what is already in the water of course).

Also, I know guppies and mollies, amongst others do quite well with a bit of aquarium/tonic salt....and I have a couple of mollies in the tank :)

I havent got any salt in any of my other tanks - but none of those have any mollies etc, nor have any of the fish been sick/died. I know the salt stays in the tank perminantly - unless the water is changed - so its only the NEW water that salt should be added to when the tank is cleaned, otherwise it all builds up.

I wasnt planning on adding salt each week on a perminant bases; I was just looking at trying to get the corys used to 1/2 the amount of salt that is recommended as Ive read that they can tolerate that much - basically, Im looking into trying to find a happy medium for corys and mollies....I just wondered about the bristlenose (who I think I might name "Brush") :)
    "No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise"
    - Lewis Carroll -

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Salt is best reserved for cases of known illness. Guppies are freshwater and should be in hard freshwater. Dosing given on those salts is very high. I would just not add any more salt and not worry about it.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Mollies can live in fresh, brackish, or even full salt water. However, they do not need salt to stay healthy, nor do any other FW species that aren't being treated for a disease.
    Also consider the actual water volume (not estimated tank volume) when dosing any medication. Substrate and ornaments will significantly reduce the actual water volume in any tank. My 55 gallon African cichlid tank MAY have an actual water volume of 40 gallons (though I suspect it's actually a bit less), a fact clearly seen when I siphon out a 5 gallon bucket of water.