· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first fish - Lady Hobbs   A gift to my mates. - mac   Did you say tankards?  LOL - sandy_n   To your first almost cycled tank - Lady Hobbs   No Message - korith   

Default Plastic junk... jeeez

0 Not allowed!
    Welp, today I went to my LFS to check into getting my fish. While there I got somthing similar to the "Python" siphen. Well it took all of two minutes to realize the weak link in the mechanism... the adaptor for the sink. Plastic piece with thin threads..... ya, about three seconds and it was stripped.

I was eyeballing the device as a whole and thought, hmm.... this is going to have a pulling action and I thought, this little crap thing ain't going to last long.

Long story short, I went to that FABULOUS place... Home Depot and got the same piece, but metal. So now at least THAT weak link's fixed.... LOL

Really, sometimes I just have to take the easy way out and BUY stupid things when in fact, this device could have been made by a three year old...

Oh well, at least it's here now.
    Yup, I got fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    I go threw a new python sink pump about every other month at my house...the d*mn plastic part that screws to the metal faucet adapter just gets eaten away and leaks like a SOB. The ones at the LFS NEVER come detached from the sinks so...they last longer.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    yeah, the spastic adapters are crap. python sells a upgraded metal adapter for the sink thats their brand. just go to home depot and get the same part for half the price. lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Ya that plastic facet adapter is really the weak link in the whole system. It makes me wonder if they intentionally make it out of plastic to ensure, you'll have to keep buying replacements in the future. Gone are the days where things were built to last. I went with the adapter that is sold for filling water beds made of metal, it's the same adapter that is sold with pythons.

By the way petsmart is going to stop carrying pythons, they are changing to some other brand. They have all the python adapters on sale fairly cheap, I think $4-5 for the facet adapter, and the hose adapters are about $2 each. May be a good time to stock up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first fish - Lady Hobbs   A gift to my mates. - mac   Did you say tankards?  LOL - sandy_n   To your first almost cycled tank - Lady Hobbs   No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Well I tell ya whot (said in Hank Hill's voice).... go to Home Depot and pick yourself up a metal adapter, all of $3-4 bucks. It won't break, strip etc.

I was looking at the on/off valve of the one our member made. Much nicer. I at least have the tubing (LOL... I ain't even going to tell ya how much MY siphen thingy was).... so I can always replace parts with Home Depot parts when/as they break... heh

I have, however, concluded that this "siphen" is just that, a siphen. I am not convinced that turning on the water actually assists the siphen funtionability. I think it's still just a fancy-schmancy siphen and all the sink faucet does it get water into the line... then gravity does the rest.

Can anyone logically prove me wrong on this?
    Yup, I got fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a houdini lol - angelcakes   Happy Hols! - fins_n_fur   On your new award!  LOL - Lady Hobbs   You need another gift bud! - Brookfish   cheers - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    Oooohhhh, heads up advise korith.....good look'in out!
    "Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks."
    -Forrest Gump-

My first blog ever. Tell me what you think of my writing skills...or lack of!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    LOL... watch me end up replacing evey component of the system until eventually there are no original components to the system....
    Yup, I got fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   Just a little something to wet your whisle - Lady Hobbs   Thanks, and good luck with the 'scape! - doug z   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   Sorry for you loss! - Little Embers   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mith
    I have, however, concluded that this "siphen" is just that, a siphen. I am not convinced that turning on the water actually assists the siphen funtionability. I think it's still just a fancy-schmancy siphen and all the sink faucet does it get water into the line... then gravity does the rest.
    You are exactly right ... any siphon is continued by gravity once it is started. The great benefits to these are 1) that they start the siphon easily, 2) that they dump the water down your drain and 3) that they make refill so much easier!
    120 Gallon Freshwater - Planted

“Every measure which establishes legal charity on a permanent basis and gives to it an administrative form creates thereby a class unproductive and idle, living at the expense of the class which is industrious and given to work.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good posts! Welcome to the AC - Gemini   You need another gift! - Northernguy   :) - SamAnthrax   :D - SamAnthrax   

0 Not allowed!
    What ever happened to the technology to make hand pumps?

You just don't see good hand pumps anymore...
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by geowashlaw
    You are exactly right ... any siphon is continued by gravity once it is started. The great benefits to these are 1) that they start the siphon easily, 2) that they dump the water down your drain and 3) that they make refill so much easier!
    No doubt. I didn't mean to trivialize it's value. It's wonderful to not have to fill with buckets (or running the garden hose through my window... LOL). I'll probably still use the bucket a little bit to clean the substrate with the big tube thingy... but filling her back up is going to be a pleasure!!!
    Yup, I got fish!