· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moss tree

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your First Gift! Nice Tank! - Northernguy   

Default Moss tree

0 Not allowed!
    hey i was lookin around google and i stumbled upon a tank with a tree in it?
    i took a closer look and it was a piece of drift wood roots upside down with some moss that had spread and it looked GREAT! have any of you tried this? is it hard or are there tricks?
    thanks a bunch!
    (...Anthony...)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    I've got all the pieces, just haven't put it together yet.

Just tie the moss on the tree, will require frequent trimming to look right
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing such good research!! - Rue   hehe. - Tolley   nascar prize - sailor   Happy Birthday! - squirt_12   For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish   Childhood Cancer - NickFish   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish   

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen it, never tried it.

I can never find pieces of wood that look nice enough. The hardest part, as I can tell, is incorporating it into an aquascape. A bunch of gravel, assorted random plants, and a random tree out of nowhere doesn't fit in. There has to be no other large plants, low growing foreground plants, some hardscape, and that has to be it for it to really look nice. It has to be the centerpiece, the main focal point of the tank to truely have an effect.

Another thing you can do that I have done, is take toothpicks or wooden meat skewers, wrap them in moss and place them in large bunches together sticking upright out of the substrate. They look very similiar to a forest of evergreen trees if you keep them trimmed properly. Very nice effect.
    Last edited by NickFish; 02-23-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go :) - Nick89   Hopefully this pizza is better LOL - Nick89   Keep up the good work! - Northernguy   i gave you crabs :) - The Red Severum   I found this on the ground for you :) - Glub   

0 Not allowed!
    Man that would look awesome, a planted tank with a weird piece of driftwood in the corner with maybe two different types of mosses then microswords covering the bottom to look like a grassy plain *head wanders off into tank imagination land*

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   Just a little something to wet your whisle - Lady Hobbs   Thanks, and good luck with the 'scape! - doug z   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   Sorry for you loss! - Little Embers   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFish
    Another thing you can do that I have done, is take toothpicks or wooden meat skewers, wrap them in moss and place them in large bunches together sticking upright out of the substrate. They look very similiar to a forest of evergreen trees if you keep them trimmed properly. Very nice effect.
    Nick ... glad to see you post this ... I am thinking of a scene that involves an evergreen forest ... how long do the skewers last?
    120 Gallon Freshwater - Planted

“Every measure which establishes legal charity on a permanent basis and gives to it an administrative form creates thereby a class unproductive and idle, living at the expense of the class which is industrious and given to work.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

just felt like celebrating today. - gabbyguppy   thanks for the plants - mommy1   Congrats on the new cube tank! - Pleco380   GRRR back at you - mommy1   Thanks for all the plants! - Lab_Rat   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jacko   

0 Not allowed!
    If you do try this, go with either willow moss or flame moss, java moss doesn't grow quite right to look naturally like a tree. Flame moss can be made to look like most trees and willow moss makes an awesome, well, willow tree.

I've been wanting to try it but finding the right peice of wood has been killer and I once found the perfect peice, about 12 inches high but I wasn't gonna spend 80 bucks on it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    bamboo would last years, Christmas moss would be perfect
    or fissidens (Phoenix moss)
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing such good research!! - Rue   hehe. - Tolley   nascar prize - sailor   Happy Birthday! - squirt_12   For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish   Childhood Cancer - NickFish   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by geowashlaw
    Nick ... glad to see you post this ... I am thinking of a scene that involves an evergreen forest ... how long do the skewers last?
    Quite awhile actually.

I've had mine in the tank for only 6 months now, but a friend of mine has had his going for over 2 years and they are still standing. If need be, you can always replace the occasional straggler anyways.

Its very nice to create a slope with these things. To start with a very tall tree and slowly slope down to a tiny tree, just cut off pieces of skewer.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift & congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - R@Nl)O//   

0 Not allowed!
    that sounds really cool nickfish,

any chance of a photo of the skewers in your tank??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy