· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: so excited!!!

1. Talking so excited!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I recently moved and when I moved my tank my Discus died

So I set my 46 bow front back up as a community tank, I am doing it up with Rainbows. I just went and got them yesterday.... SO EXCITED!! It was killing me to see my tank sitting there all empty. I had 2 Discus and 6 harlequin rasboras in it, the discus died and 3 of the rasboras jumped out of the bucket and committed suicide. It was very sad! So all that was in there was 3 lonely rasboras.

I have always liked the look of rainbows, so I am giving it a shot. I got 3 bosemanis, 3 madagascars and 6 more rasboras. I am planing on getting a few more Rainbows, but I don't know what kind I want yet.

One thing I learned real quick... It is HARD to get good pics of these guys!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I plan on adding live plants, but I have to get a new light for the tank first. I also need some bottom feeders, any suggestions??

oh, and 2 of the madagascars have really pretty red in the thier tail fins and 1 is just clear... So do I have 2 females, 1 male? Or 2 males and 1 female?

Awards Showcase

you need a calvus for your tang tank - Celtic Fins Congratulations to you both - Celtic Fins Congrats on your engagement! - Brookfish my favorite fish - jaysee you speak so much sense - AlexW 
    You need one... - Little Embers hang in there mac - mommy1 one for you too. Thanks - Celtic Fins thanks for the rep - Celtic Fins good luck in all you do. - Celtic Fins 
    Id like to give you one too. - Amazon merry christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas sir!!! - Mith Nollaig Shona! (Christmas greetings) - Brookfish happy holidays! - Jacko 
    Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy new year! - Brookfish Happy New Year! - The Red Severum Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins Welcome back - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum.
    Sorry to here about your loss with your Discus. Congrats on your new purchases. Was your tank Cycled? If not I would recommend doing so. Makes it easy for the fish to survive, when the water is cycled.

As for more fish to add, I would add more of both the types of Rainbows you have. These fish do much better in shoals.

Great pics.
    mac
    Be a responsible fish keeper! Study before buying!
    Never give in to impulse buying of Aquatic Fish.

Dairy 2IC. NZ Dairy Holdings.
    Turbo fan. Nothing beats a turbo at the lights.
    Oh sorry officer did not realise I was dragging.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes the tank is cycled, I moved the water with the tank. Then after the discus died I put some cycle in there and waited a couple of weeks before adding the new fish. I put a bigger filter and i test the water on a regular basis. On top of a 15% to 20% water change every other day right now. I am going to get more of the same, I know they do better in shoals. I did my research. I just don't want to add too much to quick. I also want a third kind though.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your loss, I lost a pencil fish when I rearranged a tank. It jumped out of the bucket. Never did find its little body on my kitchen floor.

Nice new set up. I hope you're happy with your final selection, perhaps someone more experienced can advise you better.
    Michelle
    There's more to fishkeeping than meets the eye.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellygirl
    Sorry to hear about your loss, I lost a pencil fish when I rearranged a tank. It jumped out of the bucket. Never did find its little body on my kitchen floor.

Nice new set up. I hope you're happy with your final selection, perhaps someone more experienced can advise you better.
    Thank you. I am happy with the new set up so far. All the newbies seem to be settling in just fine. I just can't wait to get it all the way I want it.

Awards Showcase

you need a calvus for your tang tank - Celtic Fins Congratulations to you both - Celtic Fins Congrats on your engagement! - Brookfish my favorite fish - jaysee you speak so much sense - AlexW 
    You need one... - Little Embers hang in there mac - mommy1 one for you too. Thanks - Celtic Fins thanks for the rep - Celtic Fins good luck in all you do. - Celtic Fins 
    Id like to give you one too. - Amazon merry christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas sir!!! - Mith Nollaig Shona! (Christmas greetings) - Brookfish happy holidays! - Jacko 
    Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy new year! - Brookfish Happy New Year! - The Red Severum Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins Welcome back - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfish79
    yes the tank is cycled, I moved the water with the tank. Then after the discus died I put some cycle in there and waited a couple of weeks before adding the new fish. I put a bigger filter and i test the water on a regular basis. On top of a 15% to 20% water change every other day right now. I am going to get more of the same, I know they do better in shoals. I did my research. I just don't want to add too much to quick. I also want a third kind though.
    Himm with the size tank and the size Rainbows IMO I would just have the two species with a bottom dweller school.

Sounds just like stress with the Discus. Shame though. THey are nice fish.
    Good that the tank is cycled the makes all seem good.

as for water changes so often I think you could back a to every few days.

mac
    Be a responsible fish keeper! Study before buying!
    Never give in to impulse buying of Aquatic Fish.

Dairy 2IC. NZ Dairy Holdings.
    Turbo fan. Nothing beats a turbo at the lights.
    Oh sorry officer did not realise I was dragging.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac
    Himm with the size tank and the size Rainbows IMO I would just have the two species with a bottom dweller school.

Sounds just like stress with the Discus. Shame though. THey are nice fish.
    Good that the tank is cycled the makes all seem good.

as for water changes so often I think you could back a to every few days.

mac
    Yeah, I was upset about my discus. I am pretty sure it was stress too, and the fact that the heater knob got jacked up in the process of moving. I woke up the next morning and the temp in the tank was 96. Dumb mistake! I will have another Discus tank, just not now. I am planning on moving again next year and don't want a repeat of this move. That's why I went with a rainbow community tank and only set my 46 back up. I have a 55 sitting in storage and a 75 that still has discus in it at my old place. I am trying to sell them, then that tank is going to storage too.

I really want some of the emerald rainbows, but i am thinking that you might have a point on the school of bottom dwellers. I been looking into it and adding another species of Rainbows AND a school of bottom dwellers would be too much... bummer