· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

If i was there with ya i'd help ya start again, but the best i can do is send you a gift guppy. - slimey   Just for being you!  hehe - Mith   For having a heart. You get a heart. =) - riot   

Default New Betta has swollen eye

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I went up country today, Picked up several new types of food, tanks etc,
    But I also bought two more male Betta's, upon getting them home, one appears to have a slightly swollen eye, Does anyone know off hand what this might be before I do any searches on the matter? and what I can do possible to help him,
    I won't return him, He's mine now, I want to take care of him, So plz any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Might be popeye...His eye may just improve with nice clean water!
    Sharon

Latest gifts & ribbons:

If i was there with ya i'd help ya start again, but the best i can do is send you a gift guppy. - slimey   Just for being you!  hehe - Mith   For having a heart. You get a heart. =) - riot   

0 Not allowed!
    Well he's got nice clean water now,

Thanks Sharon

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift. Thumbs up for the betta fans!! A gift who is compatible. LOL - lovleeko   

0 Not allowed!
    Id have to agree with Sharon. Popeye can be pretty common. Adding a tbsp. or so (depending on your tank size) along with a full water change then regular water changes afterward would be a good start. :D Gluck I hope he gets well soon!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    All my fishy tanks get regular water changes every day, I always have my hands in the water everyday for one reason or another, (wouldn't you know, yesterday of all days, I didn't have my hands in my tanks! and look what happened) I have temp sticks in all but hard to read sometimes,

When I went back to town last night I found some "Melafix" says it treats Eye cloud & Popeye among other things, So I treated him with that last night.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My Betta's eye is all better, But it seems like he's blind on that side now,
    I have to push the food to his other side for him to see and react, is it normal for them to go blind after having popeye?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Blindness can occur with Popeye....Just keep his water very clean, and watch him. If he is blind in one eye, he may have problems with depth perception. Fish can live perfectly good lives with one eye.
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Melafix is not the greatest thing for bettas. It is bad for the labyrinth organ and is generally not recommended for an actual bacteria infection. More for frayed fins and less problematic issues. Get some maracyn 2
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've read that about Melafix. Some recommend to dilute, as Bettafix is basically a diluted form of Melafix... I have used Melafix with no problems.
    Sharon

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Melafix was the only thing I could find at the time for popeye,
    He's perfectly fine now, except for the blindness on that side,
    during his treatment I kept him in a 1 gallon and only used 3 drops in his water a day. He's not being treated anymore since he's all better. I keep his water sparkling clean too.
    I guess I had just assumed he's sight would return when the popeye cleared up.. I'll have to see iff i can't locate some maracyn 2, spend some time locating in case i find need again...

Thank you Sharon & lovleeko