· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default DIY/Retrofit lighting suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    After seeing some Cherry Shrimp at my LFS today I'm now back to daydreaming about my empty slate bottom 15 gallon. I want to do a low-tech planted tank, but want to go a little more advanced than my 23 gallon (java fern, moss, swords, anubias) I did some research some months ago on what kind of lighting I'd like to get for it. Now I have a matching stainless-steel hood that I'm going to use instead of buying plant lights. It has a fluorescent fixture in it, but I have no idea what wattage (the bulb says nothing) The hood is 24" long, is about 4" wide at the bottom and tapers to about 1.5" at the top (see pics)

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do to get some more wattage? I've been watching for some sort of slim light fixture to use inside the hood but I haven't come across anything that will fit. I'm a somewhat handy person... I wonder if there's anything from Home Deopt I could use or something?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lindsay

23g FW Community ~ 2.5g antique slate-bottom plakat betta ~ 4g antique slate bottom plakat betta

0 Not allowed!
    anyone...?
    Lindsay

23g FW Community ~ 2.5g antique slate-bottom plakat betta ~ 4g antique slate bottom plakat betta

0 Not allowed!
    I am looking at this matter as we speak because I will need to get some lighting for my first tank. Home depots website takes forever to load and I cannot find all of thier light fixtures. Lowes on the other hand has a whole bunch of different light fixtures, just go to thier lighting section and narrow the search on the left side window pane and go to commercial lighting or flourescent lighting and you will see different fixtures. I all still trying to determine which style of bulb is best, T5, T8, T12? Lowes also offers just the end receptacles for the bulbs, but then a seperate ballast would need to be bought, thus wasting money. I believe the T5 are my best bet as they are smaller in diameter and I saw a 4 bulb fixture which you could use to fine tune your light output by selecting different wattage bulbs or different color bulbs. HTH -Eric

Edit: Go to lowes.com and in thier search box type in this Item #: 283285
    It is the style I am looking for. Althought it is a T8 I think the dimensions are goin to work fine. What dimensions do you need for your tank? Lowes has several different lenghts of fixtures available.
    Last edited by osomxl; 02-20-2009 at 08:26 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! I didn't even think of looking at Lowes. When I put a new light in my 2.5 gallon's hood I just took the hood to Home Depot and the guy showed me how to install a new incandescent fixture in it, though he wasn't very enthusiastic about and I don't think he understood what it was for, lol. I looked at the fluorescent stuff they had a while ago but didn't see much that looked like it would fit. My hood is 24" long but only 1.5 wide at the top where the light fits. I'll probably just take it into Lowes with me and see if I can find an under cabinet fixture that will fit it. I was also thinking I might try Ikea for under cabinet lighting, but I can't imagine I'd find anything with more wattage than what I already have. I dunno, I'll figure something out and when I do I'll post it!
    Lindsay

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lowes has always had a larger and better selection of lighting than Home Depot.
    100g: 1 Oscar, 1 Dempsey, 1 Pleco, 13 Convicts.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shield
    Lowes has always had a larger and better selection of lighting than Home Depot.
    Good to know, I usually just go to HD because it's closer to my house. I know Lowes has a better selection of cabinet hardware, didn't think about other things, lol
    Lindsay

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by invadertoast
    Good to know, I usually just go to HD because it's closer to my house. I know Lowes has a better selection of cabinet hardware, didn't think about other things, lol
    I'm fortunate enough to have both within 1 1/2 miles from my house. While HD will have a larger selection of most building materials, molding, etc., Lowes has a better selection of faucets, lighting, and cabinets. When I have a project around the house I always make it a point to stop by both before making my purchase to see what each has to offer.
    100g: 1 Oscar, 1 Dempsey, 1 Pleco, 13 Convicts.

0 Not allowed!
    HD is probably 2 miles and Lowes maybe 3.5 from my house, lol. My mom's b/f works at HD, but doesn't get an employee discount, instead they give away prizes and have cashier games and things... kind of weird but he did win a DVD recorder and digital camera, lol, not to mention all the random HD merchandise we now have (travel mugs, pens, so on...)
    Lindsay