· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okee-dokee

WC done~I set up the 20L upstairs last night, getting ready to move guppies and platies up there. Later on I'll put in some otos.

Black Skirt Tetras were the right choice~they are doing great, they are not intimidated by the danios in the least~with the platies gone I'll be increasing the danio-tetra population in that tank.

With the guppies gone I'll be adding a couple more neons into the 10~just neons and otos in there.

29: Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, CAE
    20L: Guppies, Platies, Neons, Peppered Corys
    10: Harlequin Raspboras, Otos, Amano Shrimp
    2.5:<empty>

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just noticed next month will be 4 years since I started this journal...that's just crazy!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations on 4 years! Sounds like things are well in hand and you're enjoying your tanks!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Congratulations on 4 years! Sounds like things are well in hand and you're enjoying your tanks!
    Thanks!
    I keep simple fish and am satisfied-virtually trouble free....am hankering for a couple big tanks, one for oscars and another for a planted community. But I'm maxed for space so these three are enough for now and am glad to have a tank in the bedroom again.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another WC in the books~I now have 8 black skirts & 6 danios..they're a hoot. My wife complains that there isn't much color in the tank though.

I'm disappointed in the 10 gal tank though~I thought with the guppies gone the neons might swim about more but they still tend to cluster together towards the bottom AND the otos seem to have gone nocturnal..it's as though they were more comfortable being out when there was a lot of activity and are now sorta spooked by they quieter tank...I dunno...

Everyone is cool upstairs, the platies definitely are more happy with their guppy neighbors than they were with the danios.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another WC/monthly filter rinse done~happens every few months I put the AC filters back together and one won't turn on so I have to dump out the water and dink with the propellor...not sure what I do wrong.

Fish are all well~really liking the black skirts :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another WC in the books~missed posting last week.

Starting to wonder about the algae~need to put something into the 29 (couple otos maybe)--not sure about the 10---the 4 otos in there aren't taking care of the algae there. I put in a cucumber slice once a week, leave in for 3 days--they destroy it...maybe I'm feeding them too much cucumber and they're too lazy to work for their food...

Considering hiring a CAE in spite of their notorious reputation to visit different tanks to work over the algae but they are tough to chase down/net + they're not the nicest fish around..

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    W/C done yesterday.

Noticing an interesting behavior in the black skirts~when I come downstairs on the weekends and slowly turn up the lights in the living room i see all 7 kind of clustered together as though that is their "sleep" pattern. However later when I turn on the tank lights and they get to moving around they don't stay together but take up "posts" at different areas of the tank...some are high, some are low, some over here or over there as though they've marked out daytime territories. Occasionally they'll chase after one another but not to the extent the danios will and they are absolutely not intimidated by the danio antics.

And speaking of danios after I was done with tanks yesterday my youngest was sitting at the kitchen table next to the two downstairs tanks (10 & 29) and kept saying there was a splashing noise coming from a filter. I didn't pay too much attention but a few hours later my wife said she heard the same coming from the large filter on the 29. I raised the lid on the AC70 and there was one of the smaller danios swimming around on top, since the water depth isn't much there with the filter media stacked in there the splashing sound was him swimming around-when I raised the lid he did a couple laps and flew down the falls back into the tank. It was pretty full so he must have jumped in there when I was filling the tank I guess.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've never had danios but I understand they are great swimmers. Guess he decided to explore some new territory. Good think you found him!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Downstairs tanks monthly filter rinse/WC done.

I'm thinking about moving the neons upstairs and doing something more with the "oto tank" downstairs~~not sure what. There are four otos in that tank and usually only one or two are visible at a time...wondering though if I added some plants and increased the number if they wouldn't be a bit more active like they used to be when the guppies were in there.

Maybe add 3 or 4 more--they look good. Neons and otos are notorious for being a bit more difficult to keep but at least with these in this tank I am successful...can't keep an oto alive in the big tank for some reason though..

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast