· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Default CQ's Betta Berth

3 Not allowed!
    Yes, I know I have MTS. My husband thinks I'm crazy, and keeps asking how many aquariums he'll be helping me install before I have enough. Me...? I just figure I'll keep getting aquariums until I run out of space for more...

I've mentioned a few times about Agamemnon, the most loyal and tenacious little fishy ever to have swum into my life. He started out as my sister's dorm pet, and spent 4 years with her in upstate NY, surviving all the insanity of college life, including being dropped into a bowl of salsa and then nearly flushed when a roommate's visiting mother thought he was dead. Note to other fish keepers: eating chips and dip while cleaning your aquarium is apparently a BAD IDEA. My sister affectionately called him her little spaz, because if the lights were left on he'd attack anything, including his own reflection.

When my sister was accepted to a research program on the west coast, though, she couldn't take Agamemnon with her. Due to time constraints she'd have to fly out, and while airlines will let you fly with your dog/cat/pot bellied pig for a fee, fish are out of the question. So onto the floorboard of her car Aggie went for the drive from NY to VA, where he would be living with me while my sister was in WA. He didn't like it much.

He managed though, and spent another four years with me. He survived a bout with fin rot, a mysterious infection that swelled his head and left him blind in one eye (I thought for sure he was going to die, he looked so bad!), and 2 curious cats. He finally went to the great fishbowl in the sky back in June, which kicked off my latest fish-buying frenzy. Of all the many fish I've had, Aggie was the only betta, but I've surprisingly found myself missing his crazy antics.

And so on top of all my other aquarium projects, I've decided to reboot my 5g as a betta tank--with an upgrade at some future point--and rescue some cutie from the evils of a teeny, unheated betta cup. Crossing my fingers and hoping the husband doesn't throw a fit, since I've already conned him into agreeing to 3-30gs, and possibly a 10 or 20L...

Will try to find some pictures of Aggie and post them later. Work awaits...

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Have a tetra :) - steeler58 Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Thanks for the moss! - hydrophile Heres a lovely little Cafe Latte for you for your great amount of help! - Guppygalore 
    you ask for one - cm12setx in memory of yours. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly Cheers! - cajunqn81 
    You need a gourami! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.T.!....cheers! - Slaphppy7 For a fellow tetra lover ;-) - steeler58 For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Aggie sounds like many of the bettas I have had, they are such big characters in little bodies. He lived a nice long and event filled life. Sorry for your loss (though it was in June) and it is nice to hear that you will be rescuing another one. Can't wait to see the tank and the new addition to your fishie family.

Awards Showcase

More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123 Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer Happy New Year!! - SeaLady For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7 Thanks 4 help - pRED 

1 Not allowed!
    What a story. That is really impressive for a betta who's normal life span is about 4 years. They do tend to surprise us from time to time.

Not to dissuade you, but I've personally stopped trying to rescue bettas from cups. There will just be one more to fill its place and buying one only makes the store want to sell more of them. I personally will only buy bettas from reputable breeders or LFS that treat them right. Focusing my money in that direction is my tiny tiny way of trying to move the betta world in that direction. It is ok if you want to, I just wanted to give you a different opinion to ponder. :)
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Please don't think of me as a idiot or a pessimist when I say this but I don't think the betta trade will ever stop.
    Like compass said if you try to rescue 1 another takes its place but I you don't buy one they just slowly die in those cups....its sad really.
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

0 Not allowed!
    This is Aggie in QT, recovering from one of his many adventures. I just left the camera sitting on the table next to him for a while, hoping to catch him doing something crazy. The music in the background is me, rehearsing for a concert.
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10151998593475179

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting, it loaded when I tried it. But FB offers 2 different forms of the link. Let me know if you have better luck with this one:
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...63968199263067
    If not, I'll try reposting it through YouTube.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Aww he is so handsome! No wonder you are addicted to betas. ^_^

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very pretty!!
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong