· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 36g Bowfront

1. Default 36g Bowfront

0 Not allowed!
    Alrighty! First of all, this tank was a doozy to get filled up, let me tell you. I purchased the Aqueon 50 ft water changer and so far I'm not exactly impressed. I hate to get off on the wrong foot but the tubing kept breaking off of the adapter after I'd repeatedly fastened it as secure as I possibly could launching water across the room and it became a huge wet hassle very quickly. Despite this, the tank is now filled, Prime has been added and now I'm waiting a few minutes before testing my water with my newly acquired API master test kit. This tank marks my first attempt at using a liquid test kit as well as performing a fishless cycle.

I forgot to purchase a background so don't mind the wires and tubing as they will be hidden once I return to the store. The scenery arrangement is also in prototype stage as I'm not sure its natural looking enough for me. The filter is the Aqueon Qietflow 50 and the heater is a Fluval.

36t.jpg

36t1.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

What kind of background are you wanting? Solid color or one of the underwater scene ones?
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    test3.jpg3.0

This is my tap water test results after adding Prime. The only thing I'm confused about is the ammonia reading. Shouldn't have a yellow tinge? Its totally clear.

0 Not allowed!
    Is this directly out of the tap or out of the tank. Have you manually added ammonia to the tank yet?

If it is straight from the tap it usually won't have ammonia in it until you add it yourself, although a select few here in the forum have ammonia straight from their tap water, which can really complicate the cycling process.
    ~Manna

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Awesome! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

What kind of background are you wanting? Solid color or one of the underwater scene ones?
    I was thinking maybe a solid background but I'm not sure yet.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Try retesting the ammonia one. There are two reagents and it should be either yellow or green depending upon the level.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Is this directly out of the tap or out of the tank. Have you manually added ammonia to the tank yet?

If it is straight from the tap it usually won't have ammonia in it until you add it yourself, although a select few here in the forum have ammonia straight from their tap water, which can really complicate the cycling process.
    It is from the tank after Prime. I added Prime about an hour ago and just tested probably 10 minutes ago now.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So as best as I can tell my results are:

pH-7.6ppm
    Nitrite-0.0ppm
    Nitrate-0.0ppm
    Ammonia-I presume its 0.0ppm as I haven't added any to it, I just assumed it would be yellow at 0.0 as Nitrite and Nitrate are both at 0.0 but are colored, not clear.

0 Not allowed!
    Okay just looked at your pic on my computer (as opposed to phone, I need to stop using tapatalk). I see clearly what you're saying about the ammonia being clear instead of yellow. I would do what Zerileous said and try that ammonia test again. 8 drops from bottle #1 followed immediately by 8 drops from bottle #2 (no need to cap and shake in between). Then a quick 5 second shake and you should have some color on there. If it comes out clear again there could be something "fishy" (HA!) with your kit.
    ~Manna

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh dear. Okay, don't laugh at me! But I didn't add the drops from bottle number two...

This is why one should read directions! Ah! Alrighty I've added some ammonia to the water and am waiting a few minutes for it to cycle and then I will test again to see where I am.