· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SL Dan's 75G

1. Default SL Dan's 75G

0 Not allowed!
    I've been reading quite a bit on here lately and have started to get my tank put together. Figured it would be a good idea to have a thread/journal with everything in one place. We'll see how I do with the updates.

I haven't had any fish in over 10 years (last tanks were "lost" in a divorce), but I always had fish growing up. Mostly 20 gallon setups with live bearers or barbs. I had a 55 gallon for a short while in my early teens...but then I noticed girls and got distracted! ;) The couple tanks I had when I was married were some swordtails (that had originally been my grandfather's). Internet forums weren't really a thing back then, so it's very cool to be able to find out so much information now! Much better then the couple of aquarium books I had.

I've been thinking of getting an aquarium setup for the last several years, but I kept thinking about it and never actually got started. I finally got off my butt this week and went out and bought a 75 gallon Marineland setup (came with the stand, glass canopy, LED light). Now my credit card has been burning up buying all the other necessities.

I haven't planned out exactly what fish I want, but will very likely end up with some tiger barbs or maybe some gouramis. But, I figure I have a fair bit of time to work out exactly what I fish I will get as the tank will take some time to get cycled. I do plan on having the tank fairly well planted, but not as artfully aquascaped as some of you have. I've never really done many live plants in the past, so that will be something new.

To that end, I had read good things about Eco Complete Planted, so I put 5 bags in the tank before filling it up yesterday. It seemed to really cloud up the water as I filled the tank, but it's mostly cleared up since then. I guess I'm old school, used to rinsing the gravel/substrate completely before filling the tank, so I'm not used to that. As I was filling the tank I treated the water with Prime to get rid of the chlorine/chloramine.

For a filter I bought a Eheim 2215. This is the first time I've used a canister filter. It was easier than I thought setting it up, we'll see the first time I have to clean it out how I feel about it. I do like the quietness, especially since the tank is in my living next to my tv. I think the 2215 will get me started but, from what I've been reading this might not be enough filtration, so I might get a second 2215...or ?? I also bought a 300 watt Hydor heater for canister filters. What I did not figure on was the tubing size of the 2215 is too small to use with the Hydor 300 watt (they have a 200 watt that I think would work). To get some heat in the tank while I sort that out, I added a 200 watt Aqueon submersible. Currently the tank is 80 F. Might turn it up a degree or two while I'm cycling.

The LED light that came with the tank is maybe adequate for a tank with artificial plants. But, since I will want decent plants I'll be looking for an upgrade. I've been looking at the Finnex Planted+ and the Satellite+ Pro. They seem to be very similar in all the programming they do, but the Finnex seems much more reasonably priced, so I'm leaning that way.

I have a master API test kit. Took some initial readings last night (just a few hours filling it up and getting the filter running). It's been a long time since I've tested any water and mostly just wanted to work through the procedures. Here's my results:
    Code:
    		Temp F	pH	Ammonia	Nitrite	Nitrate	GH (drops)	KH (drops)
    8/20/2015	82	7.2	0.25	0	10	11		5
    My local grocery store and Lowes didn't seem to have any plain ammonia that I could find. Took a trip to the Ace Hardware store a town over and picked up a quart, so I should be set with that. I have some driftwood that I want to add before cycling, but need to prep it. With my work schedule this weekend, I'm not sure when that will be. Not sure if I should cycle then add plants or put plants in then cycle, still debating that (or if it even matters).

That's where I am for now!

3 Not allowed!
    Image - Welcome wave.gif to the AC!

We recommend a minimum of 2 times your tank size for filtration, even more if you stock heavily or with high bio-load fish. The Hydor inlines come in a 200 watt with a 1/2" hose for use with your Eheim canister. Another 2215 would give you excellent filtration. Many of our members have Eheims.

Good luck and keep posting!
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Zebra Danio, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras, Peacock Gudgeon
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like fun problems to have. I'm looking forward to following your progress. I look forward to seeing your build and the stock choices you make.
    36 GAL South American Journal

"Be sure you're right, then go ahead."

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    welcome to the forum, its a nice community.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Safe Delivery! - Rue 

5 Not allowed!
    A 75g tank is a great size (my largest is 40g), not only in length, but the 18" width will make planting easier than the 12" you find on the 55g. The Eco Complete is a great choice also for plants. Have you bought (or thought about) a Python for water changes? For that size tank it will be one of the most valuable tools you could have, assuming it will fit your faucet or you can adapt it somehow. If not, just buy a new faucet for it. lol

Hope you do keep updates going as many of us like to follow along when we can't add a new tank ourselves.

6. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! It does seem to be a friendly and helpful community.

Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    We recommend a minimum of 2 times your tank size for filtration, even more if you stock heavily or with high bio-load fish. The Hydor inlines come in a 200 watt with a 1/2" hose for use with your Eheim canister. Another 2215 would give you excellent filtration. Many of our members have Eheims.
    I went with Eheim because it seemed to be the preferred choice of many on this forum. Most of the local stores don't seem to carry Eheim, so I had gone to a large store over an hour away to see what they had. I hadn't really done my research on the size, so I went with the manufacturer's sizing (I should really know better!) so that's how I ended up with the 2215. Now that I set it up, I will probably just order another 2215 and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    A 75g tank is a great size (my largest is 40g), not only in length, but the 18" width will make planting easier than the 12" you find on the 55g. The Eco Complete is a great choice also for plants. Have you bought (or thought about) a Python for water changes? For that size tank it will be one of the most valuable tools you could have, assuming it will fit your faucet or you can adapt it somehow. If not, just buy a new faucet for it. lol
    I debated on the size for a long time (the last 2 years). I considered everything from 30G to 90G, even occasionally eyeing the 125+ tanks. 75G seemed to be the best compromise. I do like the extra width compared to the 55's.

I did buy a Python because of comments I had read here on the forum. I didn't have it yesterday when I filled the tank by 5 gallon buckets (filled in my basement carried up the stairs), but Amazon delivered it today! I'm sure it will be very used.

Awards Showcase

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Holidays! - Boundava Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe 
    Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

4 Not allowed!
    Welcome!

We're always hungry to see new tanks go up! This sounds like it will be a very fun build. 75g is the perfect size! So many 'scaping and planting possibilities with all that width. Great choice on the substrate, too.

I have a Satellite+ on my 29g and love it. It gets the job done for the plants and offers an unlimited selection of colors as you can create any color you want by adjusting the RGB values by remote. It also offers lots of really cool dynamic modes (cloudy day, lightning storm, dawn/dusk) that bring more life and movement to your tank. I've heard nothing but great things about the Finnex line of LEDs, though. I think you'll be happy regardless of which you choose.

Be sure to update often, if you can! We're all kinda aquatic junkies around here. I like to think of this as the Addict's Corner
    29 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - RCS tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Carbon Rili tank - Journal

Awards Showcase

Thx for the nomination. - pRED Thx for the nomination - pRED right back at cha :o) - fishmommie T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly 
    You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie Good to see you back and thanx for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58 Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos 

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC . This sounds like fun. Either of the two lights you listed are great. I have the finnex and love it. Others love the satellite pro. Both are great.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

9. Default

3 Not allowed!
    Since everyone likes pictures, I took a picture late last night. Still lots to do, but this is how it sits. Sorry, it's just quickie with my cell.

I'm also working on creating a background. I'm keeping it simple, but wanted something other than the fake store bought scenes. A solid plain color seemed a little too basic. Back in the day we used to always use tin foil with some wrinkles taped to the back of the tank, but that didn't seem fitting for this tank. So, I'm trying something a little different. I don't know if it'll work out, but I'm using some copper colored Rust-Oleum Hammered paint applied to a thin piece of plexiglass, which I'll affix to the outside of the rear of the tank. For those not familiar with Hammered paint, it's usually used over metal to help hide imperfections as it leaves a textured surface.

Freshly painted background:

And this is close up to show the texture (it was still tacky at this point):

After two (heavy) coats, it's still a bit translucent in the valleys. I'm not sure if I'll do a 3rd coat of the hammer paint, instead I'm thinking I'll paint the backside of the plexiglass black, which will work for the purpose at hand.

Thanks again for all the interest.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like the way the rocks are set up. Will you leave it like that and just add the plants, or will there be rearranging?
    36 GAL South American Journal

"Be sure you're right, then go ahead."