Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. Default Allen's 1.24g Low-Iron Glass Planted Build [Come join in on the fun!]


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi, everyone.

    I got bored a few weeks ago and whipped up a new tank for my desk. I already have a reef, so I wanted a small planted tank to sort of offset the specific gravity in the house. That's my nonsensical excuse, anyway haha!

    The tank's outside dimensions are 10"x6"x6", giving me a volume of 1.24 gallons. Yes, it is WAY overbuilt, but 1/4" glass is the smallest I carry at the moment. I had no idea what I was going to do with this tank prior to building it. Guess what...I still don't!

    Come to find out, I pretty much have all of the equipment needed to run a tank this small with the exception of a heater. I'd really prefer to not run a heater if I can get away with it (unless you guys know of a good heater that is super tiny and easy to hide).

    Equipment

    Filter: DIY Air-Powered Sponge Filter
    Lights: Either LED's from one of those Tetra 10g hoods (Will verify specs ASAP) or I will run a low-wattage 6,500k CFL on a gooseneck fixture.
    Background: I will either go with black, or maybe that transparent green that James Findley used here:



    Substrate/Hardscape

    Carib Sea Black Sand. 3/4" deep at the shallowest, and 1 1/2" at the deepest. I will be using root tabs since this substrate is inert. I'm not sure if I will use driftwood, stones, or both in this tank. I will figure that out within the next few days.

    Plants

    No idea. Low tech, though.

    Stock

    Also, no idea. Red Cherry Shrimp x10-15? Betta? None? HELP!

    Pictures:

    This would have looked much better if I had cleaned the glass:


    Filter stuff. This piece of airline is just to show the components...my pump won't be that close to the tank. I can't stand the sound of an airpump... Anyway, I will get this assembled this weekend if time allows:


    Da sand:


    That's all for now. I'm interested in hearing some ideas!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southeast texas
    Posts
    2,084

    Awards Showcase

    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I think petco has a betta heater you can hide in the substrait. And hide the cord behind plants. Black background looks good.

  3. #3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I like the dimensions, I've done similar stuff with acrylic. It's amazing what you can make with a bit creativity and boredom. You can add a smaller sponge filter that will suction cup to the back wall of the tank. For plants need something that will grow in sunlight or room light, if you don't go with any light fixture. For my small jar I keep it on a desk near the window, dwarf sagittarius is able to keep alive in it. Java moss and frogbit works too. Shrimp of some sort would work. You might have to make a glass top or screen for the tank though, they can jump out of the tank.

  4. #4

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    So this is going to be 25x15x15cm? That is extremely small for any kind of fish. Could work well as an aquascape though with a few shrimp. With water volumes like this you might not even need a heater at all. It will quickly warm to ambient room temp and then the lighting will add a bit of warmth at well. Given that and the temperature tolerance of the simpler shrimp species I don't think I'd add a heater.

    You might want to read up on dry start methods for this one.

  5. #5

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    I don’t know about the stocking aspect, but if you weren’t going to go with a lid or screen, there are a great many houseplants that root beautifully in water and flow out of the top.

    I’ve been doing that -- in interesting bottles and jars -- with various plants, for around 20 years. Never have they looked as healthy as they do now with my used aquarium water!

    I really like the look of this glass box you’ve built. You might have an entirely different vision for it, but my mind immediately got excited imagining various plants.

    I’ll be very interested in watching what you do with this.
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    4,858

    Awards Showcase

    you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I really like those transparent backings. I just can't seem to find them here in the states. From what I can find his business is the only one that sells them.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

    You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

  7. #7

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I really like those transparent backings. I just can't seem to find them here in the states. From what I can find his business is the only one that sells them.
    Do you meant a background printed on a plastic you can see thru? I think you might be able to print a background onto a sheet of plastic on your printer. Or maybe hit up office depot and see if they print it clear plastic. I remember printers being able to print transparency films meant for overhead projectors in classrooms.

  8. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    I think petco has a betta heater you can hide in the substrait. And hide the cord behind plants. Black background looks good.
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by korith View Post
    I like the dimensions, I've done similar stuff with acrylic. It's amazing what you can make with a bit creativity and boredom. You can add a smaller sponge filter that will suction cup to the back wall of the tank. For plants need something that will grow in sunlight or room light, if you don't go with any light fixture. For my small jar I keep it on a desk near the window, dwarf sagittarius is able to keep alive in it. Java moss and frogbit works too. Shrimp of some sort would work. You might have to make a glass top or screen for the tank though, they can jump out of the tank.
    The supplies I have will allow me to make an adequate sponge filter. I am definitely interested in seeing what sort of plants I can get that won't require much more light than ambient light in the house. I will try to run the tank without a top at first. If I have any carpet surfers, a top will be in order. Thanks for the plant recommendations!

    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    So this is going to be 25x15x15cm? That is extremely small for any kind of fish. Could work well as an aquascape though with a few shrimp. With water volumes like this you might not even need a heater at all. It will quickly warm to ambient room temp and then the lighting will add a bit of warmth at well. Given that and the temperature tolerance of the simpler shrimp species I don't think I'd add a heater.

    You might want to read up on dry start methods for this one.
    I was thinking the same thing as far as having fish in this tank goes. I have read Diana's little write up on keeping small planted tanks with pet shrimp. It was a very interesting read, however, I do not want to deal with soil with this tank.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I don’t know about the stocking aspect, but if you weren’t going to go with a lid or screen, there are a great many houseplants that root beautifully in water and flow out of the top.

    I’ve been doing that -- in interesting bottles and jars -- with various plants, for around 20 years. Never have they looked as healthy as they do now with my used aquarium water!

    I really like the look of this glass box you’ve built. You might have an entirely different vision for it, but my mind immediately got excited imagining various plants.

    I’ll be very interested in watching what you do with this.
    I think it would be cool to have plants that come out of the water. I actually have a piece of bamboo that has been growing in a coffee mug that my mother gave me for about 3 years. The stalk is about 4" tall, and their is a "branch" that comes up about 12" with leaves on it. I was thinking about adding this to the tank once I verified that it would be okay emerged under water.

    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I really like those transparent backings. I just can't seem to find them here in the states. From what I can find his business is the only one that sells them.
    I was thinking of trying to find some transparent paper that is used for over-head projectors. Then Korith went and posted this:

    Quote Originally Posted by korith View Post
    Do you meant a background printed on a plastic you can see thru? I think you might be able to print a background onto a sheet of plastic on your printer. Or maybe hit up office depot and see if they print it clear plastic. I remember printers being able to print transparency films meant for overhead projectors in classrooms.
    Exactly what I was going to do. If I remember correctly, my teachers had a few different OHP sheets that were made from different colors--Not just clear with colors printed on. Either way, I'm going to see what I can come up with by checking Office Depot, Staples, Micheal's, Hobby Lobby, etc... Surely someone will have something that I can use...

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southeast texas
    Posts
    2,084

    Awards Showcase

    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    This is a neat idea. And will be fun to see the results.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

  10. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    ^ I think so, too.

    Are my original pictures cut off for you guys? you should be able to see the full tank. I have been using my netbook and for some reason the pictures are cut off...

    Anyway, I spent a little time tonight whipping up the filter and light "fixture."








Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •