· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Up keep on pond

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Up keep on pond

0 Not allowed!
    I have been dying to install a pond at my house. What are some of the up keep problems that you come across? Is there a lot of expense involved once it is setup? Best outdoor fish for a pond? Thanks for your help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    It's a lot of work. And it's worth doing well. Most of the problems people have encountered seem to be as a result of taking short-cuts or cutting corners.

Adequate filtration and depth seem to be key.

But it's so beautiful when it's all set-up and mature.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a houdini lol - angelcakes   Happy Hols! - fins_n_fur   On your new award!  LOL - Lady Hobbs   You need another gift bud! - Brookfish   cheers - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have much to add but, do it!!....do it!!!! If you have a few extra bucks to throw around. There are alot of do yourself kits out there, maybe there's a good one out there. Research, research, research. That and the AC, and you can probebly pull it off yourself.

My girlfriend and I can't decide whether to redo the kitchen or go for the pond in the backyard. I bet I know what our AC peeps will suggest!! Maybe I'll start a poll one day.lol!!!

[Adequate filtration and depth seem to be key.] Absolutely... many people don't digg deep enough. The fish need it deep enough to help with the heat and cold......next.....I've got nothing else.....
    "Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks."
    -Forrest Gump-

My first blog ever. Tell me what you think of my writing skills...or lack of!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Almost all the cost and effort involved with a pond (and an aquarium) are at the beginning. After that it is water changes and maintaining filters.

As with anything in fishkeeping if you cut corners you are hurting yourself big time in the long run.

In most of Florida you can have almost anything you want in a pond, no need to stick the the coolwater pond fish most of the rest of the country has to stick with.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a small pond in the back yard, came with the house. It's concrete, only 17" deep, so I just use it for a water lily garded. There are rosy reds (fathead minnows) in the pond to eat mosquito larvae, but no pump or filter, and I don't do water changes. When the level drops from summer evaporation I do top it off with the hose, but if rainfall is sufficient even that isn't necessary.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift & congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - R@Nl)O//   

0 Not allowed!
    ya i have goldfishs in a pond and all i do is feed them weekly with flakes and they feast on mosquito larvae most of the time.

just weekly top ups with the hose

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, the expense for a pond is in the build. Make it as big as you can afford and have room for. I built a 2000 gallon pond and wish I can gone bigger. You won't have to worry about overwintering like I do but you will still want to dig deep so the fish have a cool area at the bottom and to add gallons. Also if you are going to keep koi, 3 to 4 feet is a minimum.

As for maintanence, you will have it year round and the warmer it is, the more the fish eat, the more the filters need cleaned. I clean filter mats every week during the hottest days of summer. If you keep most of your pond bottom rock free and put in a bottom drain it is MUCH easier to keep the pond clean and do water changes. Overfiltering also makes things easier and fish happy. I would recommend a UV light to keep the water from going green

Have fun!