· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default sponge filter for 3.2 gallon betta tank

0 Not allowed!
    hey
    next weekend i will be moving my betta into his own 3.2 gal (12 litre) tank

I bought this tank about a year ago and it came with a filter but i also bought this other filter. I had no idea what it was at the time so i stored it. now after some research, I believe it is a sponge filter

Should it just be placed on top of gravel in the tank and left to run, and is that all i will need to run in the tank (no other filters etc)?
    Also should I put the sponge in my running tank now to get some bacteria on it?

heres some pictures:
    cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Here is a cuter version for you. - smaug a cory for your latest sucess :) - graceluvsplatys Great new tank,! Hope it brings you lots of M.T.S lol - Ryuu Yay I got my first two awards! - Gemini No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey Thanks! - Wild Turkey 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Happy Holidays and thanks! - Brookfish For being nice :) - harls_aussie Enjoy! - Northernguy 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gemini Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Gemini Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Gemini Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Gemini Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gemini 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Gemini 

0 Not allowed!
    Sponge filters are rarely enough for any decent filtration - with only one Betta you might be ok.
    I would put the sponge into my current filter to start getting "bacteria-ey"
    Fish are friends, not an expendable entertainment device!

0 Not allowed!
    Its not really a traditional sponge filter IME, it looks like a hybrid of sorts between a classic internal box filter and a sponge filter. I like how it has that black base area to put in some bio-media thats crafty. I think that it would do fine...small tanks are mainly dependant on WCs to keep them stable anyway. But this filter, heck a filter of any sort is gonna help alot. If you ever felt like upgrading Im using the Azoo Palm Filter/Red Sea Deco Nano filter and its fabulous for these tiny tanks...a mico spin off to a HOB that just does 15GPH its perfect for small betta tanks IMO.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Sponge filters are good, they can be used in larger tanks too. I know several people who just use sponge filters in their 10-20g tanks. They are great for fry tanks as well. Lots of different types of sponge filters.

Anyhow should work well in your tank. You can place it on top of your gravel or even bury the base of it in the gravel.

Adding the sponge to your old tank would work well. It'll definitely help colonize the sponge with bacteria, avoid having to cycle the betta tank when you move it over.

When you do water changes, take the sponge and squeeze/rinse it a few times in tank water that'll help clean it.
    Last edited by korith; 02-10-2009 at 06:45 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    When you do water changes, take the sponge and squeeze/rinse it a few times in tank water that'll help clean it.
    Yeah, would you believe how many people rinse it under running tap water?!?
    "Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks."
    -Forrest Gump-

My first blog ever. Tell me what you think of my writing skills...or lack of!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poofaye C.
    Yeah, would you believe how many people rinse it under running tap water?!?
    I gave my friend a 10g tank all perfectly setup, and explained to him how to do water changes and everything. I mentioned cleaning the filter cartridge and it never even occurred to me to say dechlorinated water. He ended up cleaning the filter in hot water out of the tap. Ended up giving him half a sponge I had in one of my tanks.