· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: HOB filter

Default HOB filter

0 Not allowed!
    My filter I had on my quarantine tank died, so I had to get a new one, I got a HOB.
    I've never had one before and was wondering if what I did was alright.....

The "media" it came with was a load of crap, a sheet of plastic with fins on it, and another sheet of plastic with charcoal covered in some sort of material.

I didn't like this, so I piffed those and then cut a piece of filter sponge to fit around the impella case (to stop media getting into the impella) and a piece to fit in the front of the waterfall (to keep the media inside), then used the media out of the other filter and filled up as much as I possible could, above the impella and in the other side.

This should be fine shouldn't it? I used all the media (except for the sponges and I couldn't quite cut them to fit properly) out of the other filter, so the cycle should be fine, I was just wondering if it would work? I think it will just wanted to check!

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Don't see why it wouldn't...as long as the water runs up and through the media it shouldn't matter how you pack it...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    BTW...just curious...do you guys not call it an impeller?
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That setup should work fine. As long as everything is packed in tight enough that it won't push out in the current and you are content w/ the job its doing clearing the water, your biological filteration should be fine.
    75 Gallon Malawi

35 Gallon Juvie Demasoni

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that guys!

It is an impeller Rue, my brain fart spelling it wrong! LOL

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i jimmy rigged my HOB. i have some ceramic bio media cylinders in the very bottom (i never clean them or touch them and just filter floss on top. i clean (weekly) and replace (monthly) the floss. works just fine and is a ton cheaper then those crappy carbon filters they sell at petco.
    seems like your rig, with the sponges, is a tad more sophisticated then mine so no worries. i would highly recommend some media that just stays at the very bottom collecting good bacteria and none of the bad stuff.
    10g- planted freshwater
    10 gallon freshwater, planted tank
    1 Redigobius balteatus (rhinohorn goby), 2 Trichopsis pumila (sparkling gourami), 5 mircorasbora erythromicron (emerald dwarf rasbora), 1 Celestichthys margaritatus (celestial pearl danio), 1 Dermogenys pusilla (wrestling halfbeak), 6 amano shrimp
    lots o malayn needle point snails
    3g- freshwater
    java moss

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    karbomb, it sounds simple enough, but do you think you could get a few pics?
    "Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks."
    -Forrest Gump-

My first blog ever. Tell me what you think of my writing skills...or lack of!