· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY CO2 System

1. Default DIY CO2 System

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm finally getting around to making the DIY CO2 system for my 30g. So far, I've got my two liter bottle(s). Caps drilled. So, all I need is my check valves and a 16oz bottle for the gas separator. I'm using airline tubing, I've heard that you should get co2 tubing, but also heard airline tubing works just fine. The tube has an air-tight seal right now, but I plan on putting silicone around it. And probably getting some bulkheads if I can ever find them around here. Shipping is what stops me from buying off line, its always more than the little miscellaneous item you need. Anyways, I'll go take some pictures of what I have so far.
    55g - 1 oscar and 1 red zebra
    30g(planted) - 3 Trilineatus cories, 3 peppered cories, 1 female betta, 2 gold rasboras, and snails.
    50g - 4 lethrinops intermedius
    46g Hex - 2 black neon tetras, 3 bloodfin tetras, 3 blue tetras, 2 snakeskin gouramis, 3 Agassizi corys, 2 von rio tetras ,and 1 pleco

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Crap! Took longer than 15 minutes.

PICTURES!

30g(planted) - 3 Trilineatus cories, 3 peppered cories, 1 female betta, 2 gold rasboras, and snails.
    46g Hex - 2 black neon tetras, 3 bloodfin tetras, 3 blue tetras, 2 snakeskin gouramis, 3 Agassizi corys, 2 von rio tetras ,and 1 pleco

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got my check valves and t's. Now I need a 16oz bottle to use as a gas separator.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks more involved than I thought it was. I just thought you put yeast, sugar & water in a 2 liter bottle and run tubbing to the tank. guess not. :)

Keep up posted, I may do this too.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You don't need silicone or bulkheads. Silicone won't stick well to the caps anyways, it is a waste of time and effort.

I use silicone airline tubing and have never had a leak. If you have a check valve and aren't sucking your CO2 out using a powerhead or something, you don't really need a 16-oz knock out vessel.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, got all the work done it needed last night, just need the yeast and an airstone now, I'll probably end up getting a diffuser eventually. And I have to get a co2 tets kit too.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AABatteries
    Well, got all the work done it needed last night, just need the yeast and an airstone now, I'll probably end up getting a diffuser eventually. And I have to get a co2 tets kit too.
    You have to remember that DIY CO2 does not have much pressure. You probably need something like a Hagen Ladder or powerhead to diffuse the CO2. An airstone may even be too much resistance...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Or you could use a bell type set up. I did this with great success on my 29.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That looks simple enough, and I've heard bells are better than airstones.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With an air stone the CO2 bubbles just float to the top and escape. Not much CO2 is absorbed into the water.
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty