· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Question Question about Pregnant Ghost Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Help! One day I noticed that my ghost shrimp was carrying these small greenish eggs under her back legs/in her belly area. Occasionally when she would wave her back legs around one would slide out and she would put it back in, so I KNOW they weren't INSIDE her.

I caught her (with the eggs) and put her in a small breeder tank with some plants so she could be protected. Approximately a week later, the eggs are gone. I looked all over the plants and stuff but I couldn't find them. Also, she molted.

Are they living in her molted skeleton? Did they have to be fertilized? Did I remove her from the others too soon?

I'm kind of confused, so if anyone has had success breeding their ghost shrimp, please.. let me know!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ghost shrimp carry eggs much like other shrimp, except the young are born in a larval like stage and must develope into shrimp. Unlike, say cherry shrimp, where the young are just small mirrors of the adults and ready to go on there own right away. Most times ghost shrimp babies get sucked up in filters and just never make it. They also have to be fed small things like daphnia or liquid fry food until which time they develop there form and can feed on bigger stuff.

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for responding!
    50 gallon Semi-aggressive
    45 gallon Tropical Community
    15 gallon Platy Tank
    15 gallon Crab Tank
    1 gallon Betta octagon

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Most species of ghost shrimp (generic name that covers dozens or more) require salt water for the larvae to develop. Even the few species that don't require salt water will eat their young.

0 Not allowed!
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

my tank is brackish but ohhhhhhhhh.
    15 gallon Platy Tank
    15 gallon Crab Tank
    1 gallon Betta octagon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Darn! This answered my question too. I was in the same situation as the OP. Saw the little green balls, watched forever and still no baby shrimp. I thought maybe my white clouds ate them. =\

Thanks for the info.
    10g - Planted - Male and Female Betta, 2 Gold Mystery Snails, Cherry Shrimp and a ton of Ghost Shrimp.

10g - Planted - 5 Neon Tetras, 4 Cherry Barbs a boat load of snails and Ghost Shrimp

36g - Planted - 4 Electric Yellows, 1 Albino Arautus, 1 Yellow Finned Acei, 1 Male Red Jeweled, 1 12"+ Pleco(ready for a new home. Any Takers?)

Question pregnant again! help!

0 Not allowed!
    so again i saw that one of my shrimp is pregnant. with a TON more babies than the last one!! atleast 10x as many. i'm amazed. i'm really hoping that these lil guys will survive.

last time i had a pregnant shrimp, i removed her from the rest and put her in a floating breeder. she only had what looked like about 8 eggs, and after about a week or so they were gone, no sign of them anywhere. i wasn't sure if i stressed her out so much that she lost them, but according to you guys she probably ate them.

this time, i left her to be free in the tank. she's been pregnant for about a week and so far all looks well and successful. but i know once she has the babies, my fish are going to eat them.

does anyone know if the eggs have to be fertilized, or if they already are by this stage? i'm really, really hoping for a successful batch this time. any tips would help!@

15 gallon Platy Tank
    15 gallon Crab Tank
    1 gallon Betta octagon