· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a lucky Blue Ram - Northernguy   A paci for the babies!  Congrats, Grandma! - Ellen4God   Your first fry!  lol - Northernguy   Hang in there - William   Let's talk about SEX baby  LOL  Ignore the kids on here that get annoyed at everything xxx - Fishalicious   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Lynn Conroy   

Question Gas Bubble Disease

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a new one...
    Does your tank have lots of bubbles on the sides or top?
    You and your fish may have Gas Bubble Disease.
    It's like having the Bends for a diver when there's a sudden rush of too much oxygen. Uncomfortable for the fish I would think.
    To test for this gather water from the tank in a jar with a lid. Screw the lid on the jar while still under water. Make sure its full to the top. In a while *(no time frame was given to me at fish store) open and see if there are lots of bubbles on top. If there are...too much oxygen. To remedy...do something to lessen oxygen. Shorten the drop from the lip of the pump/filter or remove or shorten your bubble wall.
    Live and Learn...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    That is interesting, Lynn. I get bubbles immediately after a water change, but it goes away very quickly.
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Im not sure if this has merit or not, especially when they dont give any exact numbers for it....i have an O2 test kit...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    too much protein in the water (from food particles) can cause some bubbles at the top of the water also....
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a lucky Blue Ram - Northernguy   A paci for the babies!  Congrats, Grandma! - Ellen4God   Your first fry!  lol - Northernguy   Hang in there - William   Let's talk about SEX baby  LOL  Ignore the kids on here that get annoyed at everything xxx - Fishalicious   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Lynn Conroy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Conroy
    Here's a new one...
    Does your tank have lots of bubbles on the sides or top?
    You and your fish may have Gas Bubble Disease.
    It's like having the Bends for a diver when there's a sudden rush of too much oxygen. Uncomfortable for the fish I would think.
    To test for this gather water from the tank in a jar with a lid. Screw the lid on the jar while still under water. Make sure its full to the top. In a while *(no time frame was given to me at fish store) open and see if there are lots of bubbles on top. If there are...too much oxygen. To remedy...do something to lessen oxygen. Shorten the drop from the lip of the pump/filter or remove or shorten your bubble wall.
    Live and Learn...
    I did this to see if that was the problem in my 20 gallon tank and especially Groucho a Red Wag Platy. Waited about 20 minutes. NO bubbles. Seems to me that it would affect ALL of them though. Anyway. The pet store had just gotten info in on Gas Bubble Disease and thought I'd share.