· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

Default Malaysian trumpet snails for planted tank

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up some of these at the LFS yesterday. I have some worries about adding them to my tank. I have read how great they are and then I read where their impossible to get out of the tank and all. I have sand so I thought they would be good. It is fine sand as well. Well I thought of adding them to all my tanks. Are they really a good snail for a planted tank. It feels weird to stick a snail in there that people are trying to get out of the tank. LOL Is there any other type of snail shaped like these guys I should know about before I add them? How I would hate to stick a plant eater in my planted tank. Also wont they help with algae?
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    You are fine to add them...and I'll bet you won't see them that often. I have a bunch in my tank and never see them unless I'm gently stirring the substrate.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fins_n_fur
    You are fine to add them...and I'll bet you won't see them that often. I have a bunch in my tank and never see them unless I'm gently stirring the substrate.

Thanks. Do you find them to be beneficial? Would I still need to churn the sand or would they be sufficient? I am worried about misidentifying them or something. LOL
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    I still gently stir the sand once a week when I do a w/c just to be sure...possibly over cautious, but that's just me. Depends on how many you have (I haven't counted mine).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Pictures. Doe it seem something is wrong with their shell. The LFS uses salt in there tanks. Maybe that could be it???? Are they for sure MTS?

Robert G. Ingersoll

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks fine, any problems from the salt should be fine. How many did you get?

I have them in all my planted tanks. They are beneficial. If they get out of control you can get a loach.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    Looks fine, any problems from the salt should be fine. How many did you get?

I have them in all my planted tanks. They are beneficial. If they get out of control you can get a loach.

Well I already have golden zebras in my biggest tank but they aren't very big. I figure at most they might eat the babies. I got 14. They look fine? Their shell seems to have some green on it or something. So they are for sure MTS? They never eat the plants right?

Robert G. Ingersoll

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm it really depends on a lot of things how fast they are going to reproduce. I never purposely introduced them before my ten, got about 20 from the lfs, one was over one inch all the others half an inch. EC in the ten.
    Nothing happened, i barely saw them for months. The tank was lightly planted and i was growing the algae out on the side and back of the tank. One day they decided to come out of the substrate all at once and attack the algae. The algae was gone in two days but ever since then my corys get healthy doses of live food daily via cleaning the anubias leaves if you know what im saying. There are hundreds of COUNTABLE mts in that sucker now....no real effect on parameters..but they are constantly trimming my dead leaves for me and continuing to breed. Ive since resorted to removing a few at time everytime i stick my hands in for whatever reason.

Mine are prettier than urs and i still love/hate them :P
    Their shells are just damaged to a point, totally common.
    Last edited by Wild Turkey; 02-06-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Turkey
    Hmmm it really depends on a lot of things how fast they are going to reproduce. I never purposely introduced them before my ten, got about 20 from the lfs, one was over one inch all the others half an inch. EC in the ten.
    Nothing happened, i barely saw them for months. The tank was lightly planted and i was growing the algae out on the side and back of the tank. One day they decided to come out of the substrate all at once and attack the algae. The algae was gone in two days but ever since then my corys get healthy doses of live food daily via cleaning the anubias leaves if you know what im saying. There are hundreds of COUNTABLE mts in that sucker now....no real effect on parameters..but they are constantly trimming my dead leaves for me and continuing to breed. Ive since resorted to removing a few at time everytime i stick my hands in for whatever reason.

Mine are prettier than urs and i still love/hate them :P
    Their shells are just damaged to a point, totally common.

LOL. Why are yours prettier :) Are you calling my snails ugly?

For what reason do you hate them. Thanks WT. I'm just weighing the pros and cons.

Robert G. Ingersoll

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovleeko
    LOL. Why are yours prettier :) Are you calling my snails ugly?

For what reason do you hate them. Thanks WT. I'm just weighing the pros and cons.
    I guess because there are just so many of them, and they add to my weekly maintenance which is already a ton of stuff with all the critters and tanks

Yea my mts have great patterns when you get up close they are actually pretty attractive, just not from afar.