· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Prefilter for canister inlet?

0 Not allowed!
    I changed my sand lately to a much finer type, half flourite and the other is what ever, can't remember. Still fine though, and my pleco stirr's the stuff up so bad.

I was dreading opening my canister filter, and yesterday I cleaned it out. Oh man! It was full of mud lol, I'm surprised nothing got into the magnet assembly. So luckily, things are ok on my filter. But I would like to try and avoid this.

For starters I raised my inlet to a couple inches below the surface of the water. But I was wondering, what could I wrap around the filter inlet that would stop a bit of sand if my little buddy creates another cloud? Something that wouldn't restrict flow too badly.

Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    The pre-filter is right up your alley then. I have some filter sponge wrapped about mine and secured with a rubber band. Turn that canister off when cleaning if you don't now.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    A sponge cartridge for an aquaclear HOB filter is probably the least expensive and most effective option. A sponge from any suitable sponge filter will also work, but if there's a hole all the way through its effectiveness may be somewhat less due to water/debris being drown up through the bottom.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I always turn it off when I clean, its just my pleco. Somebody moves in the room and he freaks out stirring up a cloud. Or I wake up most morning and either he or the oscars have dug trenchs in the sand lol

Its too bad that it is open at the bottom of the inlet mesh. Because then I could just shove one of those foam filters over top, but yeah. The bottom is still open. I'll go to the fish store later and see what I can find. Thanks/

0 Not allowed!
    I just took one of those aquaclear sponges meant for small hobs and cut a slit into it, then put the inlet into it. It doesn't really slow down the intake rate that much as far as I can tell.

0 Not allowed!
    Sweet!

Yeah... only thing I'm worried about since I clamped a sponge onto my aquaclear 500 once and it slowed it down a lot lol

I'll have to try some stuff.