· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Have one on Hobbs - hobbs   99 bottles of beer on the wall - hobbs   Nice seeing you here - Lady Hobbs   You need a fish up here! - Northernguy   

Default Quick advice please

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everybody…
    I got up this morning and found one of my newer fish dead. A Powder Blue Scolofi.
    No sign of any other fish abusing it, just dead.
    Now, I just got back from getting my granddaughter and see others hanging out at the top.
    Nothing has changed. Perfect water parameters and temp.
    I was thinking of doing a major water change and not adding back any Malawi buffer or cichlid lake salt.
    Any opinions on what I should do?
    I figure the more help I get on this the better!
    30 gallon salt water tank
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Joe, when you test for ammonia are you letting the vial sit for several minutes after doing the test? It takes 10 minutes or so for the colors to change?

I wish I could offer some advice but I am perplexed as well. Hanging at the top generally means there is ammonia and the fish are starved for oxygen.

Fish gasp for breath at the surface.
    Purple or red gills.
    Fish is lethargic.
    Loss of appetite.
    Fish lay on the bottom of the tank.
    Red streaking on the fins.

It's possible that they never had that disease they had (can't remember the name now) at all but are having the same reoccuring symptoms as they had before? Test your water right from the tap for ammonia, as well.

It REALLY sounds like ammonia poisoning to me.
    Last edited by hobbs; 01-30-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Have one on Hobbs - hobbs   99 bottles of beer on the wall - hobbs   Nice seeing you here - Lady Hobbs   You need a fish up here! - Northernguy   

Default tests

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbs
    Joe, when you test for ammonia are you letting the vial sit for several minutes after doing the test? It takes 10 minutes or so for the colors to change?

I wish I could offer some advice but I am perplexed as well. Hanging at the top generally means there is ammonia and the fish are starved for oxygen.

Fish gasp for breath at the surface.
    Purple or red gills.
    Fish is lethargic.
    Loss of appetite.
    Fish lay on the bottom of the tank.
    Red streaking on the fins.

It's possible that they never had that disease they had (can't remember the name now) at all but are having the same reoccuring symptoms as they had before? Test your water right from the tap for ammonia, as well.

It REALLY sounds like ammonia poisoning to me.
    Hi Hobbs,
    I have tested the water several times and also the tap water. I let the vial sit.
    Everything is perfect.
    I haven't lost a fish since May and I am really upset..
    I think I am going to do a major water change and leave out salts and buffers. Something is poisoning them
    30 gallon salt water tank
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.