· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tea in filter??

1. Default Tea in filter??

0 Not allowed!
    One day i just randomly thought of this. Everyone wants that "tea-colored" water, right. Why not put some in the filter, would it help with antioxidents and stuff like that. I'm not suggesting trying it but i do wonder. Please share your opinions.
    In my 29 gal:
    4 serpae tetras
    1 Flame tetras
    1 Zebra Danio
    1 German Blue Ram

In my 55 gal:
    Trigun's 55g Tropical Community!
    6 Glo-lite Tetras
    4 Emerald Corys
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Peppered Corys
    25 Neon Tetras

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have no idea myself.. I don't know enough about tea, but I certainly know putting a couple of Mopani wood pieces will turn your aquarium water tea colored for quitee some time.

Tea though? It's an interesting idea.
    I shoot things.... with my Nikon.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Tannins are pretty easy to get into the aquarium if you want them, i dont see any reason why it would be a problem unless you were trying to maintain a high ph.

I dunno about the tea, it would have to be organic tea for sure...not something i would try

0 Not allowed!
    Better to get some liquid amazon altho it's somewhat expensive. You'd have to add it every water change.

0 Not allowed!
    Tea for staining the water is not a great idea due to the cafeeine... but...Rooibos tea does wonders for algae and is one of those old kept secrets from the older aquarium keeping folks.
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishalicious
    Tea for staining the water is not a great idea due to the cafeeine... but...Rooibos tea does wonders for algae and is one of those old kept secrets from the older aquarium keeping folks.
    Care to share the secret of the number of tea bags to litres or gallons of water? I could use some help

0 Not allowed!
    Get a cheap make rooibos tea from your local pharmasist - boil some water in the evening and put it in a tea cup - dump a tea bag in over night - in the morning it should be nearly black.

Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) per 50 liters/ 13 gallon everyday....you can keep using from the cup of tea you made until you need new tea.

It works against black brush algae, stringy algae...you name it...I know older aquarists that have been doing it for years with not a patch of algae in sight. Luckily I have not had to resort to it myself yet but it does really really seem to work.

You can also do it with normal tea but this can affect your water parameters...rooibos tea doesn't

If you are going to do it Fins maybe a nice idea to keep a log on it?
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishalicious
    Get a cheap make rooibos tea from your local pharmasist - boil some water in the evening and put it in a tea cup - dump a tea bag in over night - in the morning it should be nearly black.

Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) per 50 liters/ 13 gallon everyday....you can keep using from the cup of tea you made until you need new tea.

It works against black brush algae, stringy algae...you name it...I know older aquarists that have been doing it for years with not a patch of algae in sight. Luckily I have not had to resort to it myself yet but it does really really seem to work.

You can also do it with normal tea but this can affect your water parameters...rooibos tea doesn't

If you are going to do it Fins maybe a nice idea to keep a log on it?
    Wow thats awesome..

I already have driftwood, and tannins, but was just wondering about the tea. Thanks for the info though.
    In my 29 gal:
    4 serpae tetras
    1 Flame tetras
    1 Zebra Danio
    1 German Blue Ram

In my 55 gal:
    Trigun's 55g Tropical Community!
    6 Glo-lite Tetras
    4 Emerald Corys
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Peppered Corys
    25 Neon Tetras

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard of people using english breakfast tea in killi and betta tanks to induce spawning, seems to work well from what I've heard.