· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Severum? Too large for 55 gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    The more I read about severums, the more interested I become with this fish. I would like one tank that has a show fish but read Severums get 8 inches.

Do you think a 55 gallon is too small for one? I was thinking between the tank being only 12" wide and this fish growing to 8" he will not have enough room.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I think a severum would be fine in the 55. There's plenty of room to swim back and forth, and plenty of room to turn around. I say go for it. I know you've been looking at them for a while, and I have no doubt that you'll be able to care for it very well.
    This is my witty and clever signature. You like? :)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Glasstapper. I sure will miss you when you're gone! You won't want to even talk about fish since you'll be missing yours, I'm afraid.

I will have to think of some little guys I can put with a severum as the tank will sure look bare until he decides to grow some. I may put my Silver Dollars with him since they don't get along with plants, either. Their growth seems to have stopped at about 4 inches which is a far cry from the 8 inches I read about on the web. They are a year old and should have reached maturity by now, wouldn't you think?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I'll ALWAYS want to talk about fish! They are my passion!

A year old and only 4 inches? Maybe it's possible that they are done growing. I know with some fish they slow down their growth at about a year and gain an inch or two per year after that. Not sure if silver dollars are like that, though. I hope yours get to that impressive 8 inches, though.

I've heard that severums are the more "peaceful" cichlids, so I would imagine most quick schooling fish would be compatible. I know I just love the tiger barbs, so I'll always reccommend them for cichlid dithers. They're not at all shy and have a lot of personality.

Have you thought about another cichlid? The festivums seem to often be with severums because of the similar aggression. They usually get to be about 4 to 6 inches full grown, but I hear they can also be a little shy. There's always the option of getting a severum of the opposite gender to see how they color up for each other and show off for each other.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh, and the blue acara is a peaceful cichlid reacing about 6 inches. Those are so pretty.

0 Not allowed!
    I was also thinking of those until I read this on-line:

Date: 07/17/2001
    Festivum are large 8" Cichlids and can be territorial . Contrary to popular belief they do not always get along with angels. They will eat any pond snails in your tank. I suggest keeping in at least a 40 gallon as they can be a bit rowdy like Oscars and tend to knock heaters and equipment around if kept in too small of a tank. They really interact with their owners and have lots of personality.

Just above that post it was written they grow to 4-5 inches as you stated.
    I somehow think this was a fluke tho as everywhere they are stated at much smaller.

That's for the suggestion. This sounds like a winner to me. :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstapper
    oh, and the blue acara is a peaceful cichlid reacing about 6 inches. Those are so pretty.
    I saw those too! They are very pretty indeed.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbs
    I was also thinking of those until I read this on-line:

Date: 07/17/2001
    http://badmanstropicalfish.com/clear25.gifFestivum are large 8" Cichlids and can be territorial . Contrary to popular belief they do not always get along with angels. They will eat any pond snails in your tank. I suggest keeping in at least a 40 gallon as they can be a bit rowdy like Oscars and tend to knock heaters and equipment around if kept in too small of a tank. They really interact with their owners and have lots of personality.

Just above that post it was written they grow to 4-5 inches as you stated.
    I somehow think this was a fluke tho as everywhere they are stated at much smaller.

That's for the suggestion. This sounds like a winner to me. :)
    Perhaps joyce was thinking of the festae? That's what it sounds like she's describing to me. I've never heard of a festivum behaving anything remotely like an oscar before, but those festaes are something else.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Abbeys_Mom Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime 
    A rose for you, just for being you....all Moms deserve flowers! - kimmers318 Back at ya! - hobbs Sorry I beat your Tetris record :D - Chrona You need some good luck! - Lady Hobbs That one might not be enough!! - Lady Hobbs 
    candy, little girl? - Lady Hobbs Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 A Birthday drink - crackatinny WELCOME BACK! - Lady Hobbs Happy B-day, and thank you for the cake! - DemonShark 
    For your new tank - Northernguy Have another! - Northernguy 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom 

0 Not allowed!
    I have had festivum and they are great, so long as you don't have two males. I had them in with fairly aggressive cichlids and they held their own. Mine only got 5-6 inches and they were in a 55g. I had them for a few years, so I don't think they get much better then that.
    Greatest Guitar Forum Ever
    www.thestringnetwork.com

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ! I don't feel like going thru all the dominance and mating deal anyway so would most likely try to get same sex myself.