· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default What species is a "pest" snail?

0 Not allowed!
    Home sick (day 3) and going bored out of my mind... what exactly is a pest snail? I have a bunch in my 2.5g plakat tank. I swear my tank isn't that dirty, it looks terrible in the pictures!

Lindsay

23g FW Community ~ 2.5g antique slate-bottom plakat betta ~ 4g antique slate bottom plakat betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    not sure what those are, but usually bladder snails are pest or pond snails.
    55g- blood parrots, hatchetfish, SAE, bristlenose plecos
    75G-oscar

0 Not allowed!
    That's a Malaysian Trumpet Snail...not seen as a pest as it keeps your substrate nice and airy ad eats algae... they will not touch plants - only those that are dying or dead plant material. They can explode in population size though...

Pond Snails are a pest and will eat holes in every plant you have ...
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Yups gotta agree with jess on this one. Though, some still regard mts as a pest :D But as far as pond snails go there are several species but they all look similar. Little round snails of hating.

0 Not allowed!
    Okay - thanks guys!! Seeing as I have sand in all four of my tanks, I'm kind of glad to have them. None of my other tanks have snails except my 23, it has an MTS that's about 4 times the size of these little guys. Any idea how long it takes them to grow? I have a ton in this 2.5 and have for months, but they stay tiny.
    Lindsay

23g FW Community ~ 2.5g antique slate-bottom plakat betta ~ 4g antique slate bottom plakat betta

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    The designation of "pest" applies to any unwanted invert, regardless of species, the same way "weed" is defined as any plant growing anywhere it isn't wanted. There are different species of MTS, but they aren't a particularly fast-growing snail in general.
    Going stir crazy after being home sick for 3 days? I was in the hospital that long (right through Christmas w/a broken hip), and still have another 10 days before my next visit to the doctor. If the xrays look alright he may allow me to start putting some weight on my left leg again. Then it will be a month of physical therapy twice weekly; I just hope he'll allow me to drive again after the next checkup. Sooner or later I suppose he'll want to take out the 4 screws now holding the femur together; something else to look forward to...