· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planting Plan

1. Default Planting Plan

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone,

I would like your ideas/feedback on my planting plan I have developed. I attached the plan in a .pdf with tropica.com's spec sheet on each plant. I've attached a picture of the tank now, so that you can see the tank and the rocks I'm working with. Planning on piling the gravel high to the left side of tank and either sloping into a valley (going back high on the right) or just tapering it to the right side.

Wondering about the following things:

1. Will these plants work well together?

2. Will this be too many plants or too many varieties?

3. Any of these plants that won't do well with my setup? The specifics are on the sheet, but here they are as well: Temp. 78, Light 2w/g (T5), pH 7.6, GH 3 degrees -- fishes are in my signature.

4. Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tank Plan.pdf

SNC12264.JPG
    120 Gallon Freshwater - Planted

“Every measure which establishes legal charity on a permanent basis and gives to it an administrative form creates thereby a class unproductive and idle, living at the expense of the class which is industrious and given to work.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After looking around at what is available to order, I've made the following replacements in the planting plan above (numbered per original plan):

4. Hygrophilia corymbosa replaced with Rotala macandra v. 'narrow leaf' (Rotala magenta0

5. Deleted, not replaced

9. Juncus repens replaced with rotala nanjenshan (this one concerns me as differing sources say either medium light or high light)

“Every measure which establishes legal charity on a permanent basis and gives to it an administrative form creates thereby a class unproductive and idle, living at the expense of the class which is industrious and given to work.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    more substitutions:

2. Alternanthera reineckii (pink) replaced with Limnophilia 'hippuroides'

and

7. Cryptocorne undulata replaced with cryptocorne wendtii 'tropica'

Also, my new light is 2w/g T5. I think I will continue to use my old light, which is providing me .75 w/g, which will put me at 2.75 w/g total.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! Very thorough!

I won't be of much help. I'm familiar with most of the really common stuff...not good with the others...

But I might suggest, for the size of your tank...that you might want to reduce it to 5 species or so...

2 tall ones...2 medium...and one short plant for the foreground...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I kind of threw it together the first time without much thought and ended up not liking it, so I figured I would ponder it greatly this time. I'm going to try to reset the rocks in the next couple of days and then I'll have a better idea of actual planting space and whether or not the plan will work. You know what they say ... the greatest plans of mice and men are quickly laid asunder ... lol

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay ... round 2. I went home last night and studied the size of my rocks in relation to the tank. I also took into account Rue's advice to reduce the number of species. Since most of the rocks have a very red hue to them, I decided to accent with red-hued plants behind the rocks but keep most of the stuff in the middle green. I dropped the Rotala Magenta and Rotala Nanjenshan, bringing me down to only 9 species of plants. Only one of them is rated on Tropica.com as being demanding (Didiplis diandra). The rest are all very easy to medium. I also finally decided the last remaining issue of "valley" or "slope" and chose the "valley" look. I did this because I have a huge amount of sea glass in the tank that I picked up in Cuba and I wanted to use it. I couldn't figure out how to do that without it getting lost in the carpet that the Hemianthus will form. So, by putting a valley with a "stream" in the low part, I can put it all there with no plants.

Welcome any suggestions or advice on these particular plant types.

Tank Plan 2.pdf

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good!

I love A. var nana.. Lovely, indestructible little plant..

I agree with Rue..

Try to keep it to 5 species of plant, especially seeing as the rock is so colourful..

It will be WAY too busy, otherwise..
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Doug! I always look forward to your input! I'm at a loss about what else to cut out. Help me reason through this:

Limnophilia 'hippuroides' is a tall growing plant with red ends that I was utilizing just in the one corner to grow from behind the tall, striated, pointed rock in the picture.

The Tiger lotus I was putting alone in the middle of the grouping of three rocks.

The Echinodorus x. barthii is to add the red color to the other side behind the flat rock that now sits atop the structure in the picture.

I have some of the anubias and cryptocorne wendtii 'green' already, that's why i put them along the stream.

I could live without the algae balls, I guess, I just thought they were cool.

I could also get rid of the didiplis and the wendtii 'tropica'. But, that would leave me nothing between the two rock groupings except the anubias and crypts along the stream and the hemianthus carpet.

Maybe I will start like that and then decide if I want to add more. That just means an extra shipping charge -- as there is no good place to buy plants near me that I have found yet!

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I like this version better.

No need to rush...if you start with the basics you might find you really like it...or you may find you want more...but at least you'll be in a good place to make those decisions...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so it would look something like this:

Tank2.doc