· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone have experience with that ammonia alert from Seachem.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...nia-alert.html

Anyone know how accurate it is or if it is any good? cause I would like to use this in tandem with my Liquid water test kit.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It works as described, but unnecessary if you have ammonia test kit.

If you have the API ammonia test kit, it measures total ammonia (both NH3 and NH4+), while Ammonia Alert only measures NH4+ because NH3 is safe at low PH.
    8g planted, CRS shrimp
    29g planted, oto, cardinal tetras, albino sterbai corys, amano shrimp
    90g afra, p. sp. acei, johanni, demasoni cichlids

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by admael
    It works as described, but unnecessary if you have ammonia test kit.

If you have the API ammonia test kit, it measures total ammonia (both NH3 and NH4+), while Ammonia Alert only measures NH4+ because NH3 is safe at low PH.

Thanks for the response as well as the info!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    liquid test kits can go bad, too, and in only a few months? It's been about 5 months since I got mine, perhaps I have a ton of nitrates yet its reading 0 because its outdated? These things cost quite a bit though, not sure if I really need to buy a new one... I'll figure it out during my fishless cycle. If it reads no ammonia then well... crap.
    moar tanks plz

29g planted tank: 8 Cherry Barbs (2 male, 6 female), 2 Kribensis (male and female), 1 Dwarf Gourami (male), 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    Really depends on the quality of regents to start with, the temperature the regents are kept (warmer = shorter shelf life). I keep my regents in a 60 degree fridge to extend the length of time they are good.

Also depends how long the test kit, or kits, have been sitting on the shelf before you bought it. Only ways to check if the regents are good are electronic and thus quite expensive, but at regular room temperature of say, 75 degrees I'd start doubting the readings after three months using hobby-level test kits.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My wife wasn't too thrilled to find our tester kit taking up the limited room in our fridge, but when I explained it to her, she was okay with it afterwards. Thanks Dave!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We are new to fish keeping in our house - two daughters and myself. We use the API freshwater master kit to test the water but find the colour chart confusing, for example, the nitrate 10ppm and 20ppm look the same orange to me and so does the 40/80 red on the chart. I then don't know whether it reads 40 or 80. I have sent for a Seachems kit to see if the colour chart on that is any better.
    I Have learned such alot from reading different comments and replies to my questions and can't thank you all enough. Great forum.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We have an ammonia alert disc in our tank Iceman76za, which reads my ammonia 0 and as we are new to fish keeping we also use the test kit to double check the readings. As mentioned by Admael, really if you're going to use a test kit why have a disc. The reason I do is that I have read the test kit liquid can soon become out of date and give a false reading, then at least the disc can alert you to something not being quite right with the ammonia.
    I think I am going to look into getting the probe Dave66 was commenting on. I'm new at this game and don't take much confusing, particularly if I think something may not be right but doesn't show up on the tests.

0 Not allowed!
    You should only use the chart that comes with your particular test kit. Others may be totally different. Once you have a tank for awhile, you will hardly test at all unless you suspect a problem.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a nitrate test kit from a fish store and the guy told me it'd last over a year :0
    And my master kit minus the nitrate was given to me so I have no clue how old it could be... I'm freaked out now thinking maybe my tank really isn't cycled?
    I bought the tank with 'fully cycled' filters, but did not put fish in it for a couple of days to let it run.. and then tested it. The ammonia was light light yellow nearly zero and then lowered to zero after 2 water changes. So I'm hoping that means they still work?

3 kuhli loaches and a peacock eel are currently in the tank and have been for over a week... Haven't had any problems yet... do I need to worry?

Ahh! D:
    Jessica