· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Water Testing: A Primer

0 Not allowed!
    Water testing can be a mystery to newer keepers. Though it's only occasionally needed in established freshwater, accurate water testing is vital in both marine and marine reef tanks. In this post I'll explain the three most common methods of water testing, with their pluses and minuses.

The most common water testing kit most new and some not so new keepers purchase are test strips. A strip, say for Ammonia, is dunked in aquarium water, and the strip will turn to a color. The color is matched to a chart, giving the user an approximate reading.

The Pluses: Very inexpensive and commonly available. Very simple to use.
    The Minuses: Less and less accurate as time goes by due to humidity in the air. Readings are always suspect.

More accurate are drip-based test kits, which are what most strip users graduate to when they realize strips are near useless. Regents, which are dyes and solutions available for a dazzling number of water parameters, are dripped into vials containing small samples of aquarium water. Each different test requires a set number of drips.

The resulting color in a vial is matched to a chart for the reading. Hobby level regents are relatively accurate, but miles more accurate than strips. Laboratory-grade regents are more expensive, but are very accurate. Coupled with an electronic device called a colormeter, regents are dripped as above, but inserted into the device for a truly accurate reading.

The Pluses: Far more accurate than strips, simple to use. Commonly available.
    The Minuses: More expensive than the strips, can be confusing matching samples to charts. Regents will expire over time, usually within a few months. Colormeters are very expensive.

The most accurate piece of equipment you can buy are electronic meters.

Models can be for a single parameter, like pH, and better models come with a probe that's dipped for a set time in an aquarium water sample. Some more expensive meters test multiple parameters, some with a single probe, some with two or more probes.

Electronic meters are without doubt, the most accurate of testing methods. For example, my pH meter reads to the hundredth place, like pH 7.26. The margin of error is one-one thousandth, meaning the water can be pH 7.25 or 7.27. If you want to know how much dissolved Oxygen is in your water, an electronic meter will tell you, in mg/l. If you want to know how much is used by the life in your tank during a 24 hour period, a meter will tell you that, too. Testing Ammonia in a new tank? A meter will tell you, to the thousandth place.

Meters are available that will test all the common freshwater and marine parameters. If you want to know a parameter, there's probably an electronic meter for it.

The Pluses: Highly accurate. If you want to know an exact reading, the only way to be sure. Properly maintained, can be used for many years. Simple to use.
    The Minuses: Expensive. You can expect to pay around 80 dollars US for a good pH meter. Other meters can be hundreds, like 250 for a Calcium meter, or thousands, for top-grade multiple meters and some top of the line single meters.
    Meters must be regularly calibrated for continued accuracy. Probes eventually must be replaced.

These are the three testing methods available to the aquarium keepers. Each have their pluses and minuses. The vast majority of hobbyists use regent-based test kits, as they know they are much more accurate than strips, and are only moderately expensive. Electronic meters are the creme de la creme of accurate testing, and it's only the price that restricts their use.

I use both lab-grade regents with colormeter, and electronic meters. I use both methods to verify each other, and for my peace of mind and thus the benefit of the fishes. I enjoy testing, and do so weekly with my tanks, and chart the results over time so I can spot trends.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Dave. Great over view of the ways to test. Really liked it!

Been looking at one of those electronic pH doovy whatsits. Just waiting for the funds to get one. Think they'll be very handy. Haven't seen anything else that's electonic, but I'll be keeping my eye out!

Awards Showcase

For doing such good research!! - Rue hehe. - Tolley nascar prize - sailor Happy Birthday! - squirt_12 For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue 
    Thanks for the rep! - robnepper To the only guy to quote himself! - Mr.Prototype Thinking of Noah & your family xxx - Fishalicious For your 1 year at AC xxx - Fishalicious Not enough gifts - The Red Severum 
    you need more! - The Red Severum one more! - The Red Severum won the lottery with your donation, had to buy you a beer - mrs fishpatrick Time for another round! - northernguy A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey 
    Here's one on the house, Nick. - robnepper Merry Christmas - Northernguy Thanks!! - Wild Turkey your info has been great the last couple of days - The Red Severum I appreciate your generousity! - Brookfish 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish Childhood Cancer - NickFish Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish 

0 Not allowed!
    Another nice one Dave!

Thanks!

4. Default Great read!!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Dave, keep the primers coming.
    separate note: I wish LFS would post their water parameters, where all customers could see them.

Dave, You've been a great help to Me!

Thanks!!

Don
    20G: 8 Serpae, 5 Grn Cory. Planted,Tannin stained
    29G: 12 Neon, 6 Gold Pristella, 8 Blk Phantom, 5 Pepper Cory. Planted, Tannin stained
    5G: 1 Betta. Planted
    10G Quarantine tank:

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Dave! That was very imformative and will be a great help to many members and newcomers.
    I say Sticky!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    Just a bump.

Dave

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just want to say thank you for this bit, really informative, helped me decide to get the liquid test kit.....though really wouldnt mind that electronic readers, saw some of the prices and all I thought was, "Ouch!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman76za
    Just want to say thank you for this bit, really informative, helped me decide to get the liquid test kit.....though really wouldnt mind that electronic readers, saw some of the prices and all I thought was, "Ouch!"
    pH meters are the cheapest, with a decent one with probe is under 80 bucks, and if you shop, well under it. PH pens, are all in one with the probe built in. You dip the probe end in an aquarium, push a button, and it gives you the reading.

Pens run under 40 bucks, usually well under it. Hanna makes decent ones, so that brand are the ones to look for. There are pen testers available for several different parameters besides pH.

Radio temperature meters have a probe that stays in the tank, and radios the reading to a base station, run around 35 bucks or so. Single base stations can monitor the temp in three separate aquariums; you just need more probes, and they are inexpensive. American Marine makes a good temperature meter system.

Plus with such a thing is if something goes wrong with your heater for instance, you'd know about it before disaster strikes.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Great addition to AC - Lady Hobbs Perhaps a beer instead? - Lady Hobbs NICE TANK! - Lady Hobbs U know your awesome!!!!!! - jbeining75 Very nice rift tank! Very funny jokes! - NickFish 
    Refund lmao!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for the support - jbeining75 Good luck with the JI!!!!!! - jbeining75 Right back at ya! - Hailey For help with my leopard geckos - jbeining75 
    to me - sailor Your second sets of stripes lol.... - jbeining75 to blow your nose lol..... - jbeining75 I won the lottery,thanks for the help couldn't have done it without you - kitten3326 Because I would buy you a beer if I could. - RainMan 
    For beating back the flu!!!!!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for cheering me up xoxo - shalafi04 A Cricket and Strawberry slurpee just for you :) - shalafi04 gotta buy a beer for a sailor. LOL - ILuvMyGoldBarb knowledge + friendly = sailor! yar! - turkey151 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    Awsome as usual Dave.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you forgot the least accurate method, having ur LFS do it =P.