· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default invisable platy fry?

0 Not allowed!
    people of this forum, i ask you, do you think its possable to miss 2 platy fry for a whole month?
    let me explain, both my female platies are pregant in my 10 gallon but arnt due to give birth for a week or so, one female had fry a month back and they were loads, but later on, as i let left them in the tank, i couldnt find any, i thought all had been eaten.so i carried on my usually routine of water changes,feeding, etc.anyway, today i was closely inspecting the tank as i watched my shrimp feed( im kinda sad that way) and noticed 2 small fry hiding in the gravel, they looked a little big to be new but im sure the last batch was all gone, could it be i missed these couple,them being the sole survivors,to be honest, i havent really looked for fry for a month and only glanced at the tank, mostly watching the platies.has anybody else found fry they didnt know they had? im sure the fry isnt recent but could it be just bigger fry born today? i doubted it as they were only 2 and both my females look huge?
    comments and opinions wanted!
    bettaboy691

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have an undergravel filter? my platies once got stuck in the undergravel filter for a week with out dying! fry are so small you probably just missed it, especially if it is a large planted tank with lots of hiding spots.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i dont have a undergravel filter, but lots of plants, i think i have found where they were hiding, where i placed the cave onto the gravel, they are gaps as its an uneven surface, i suspect they were living in their for a month or so, now they are bigger, they dont fit and have to resort in staying in the plants etc. apart from one guy whos got a death wish, he just swims out in the open, not a care in the world,lol
    bettaboy691

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    It's more than possible. We thought for a long time that we only had two when we put the fish through quarantine, but when we did the transfer to the larger tank, we found that there were four.

That was in a 5 gal with very few places to hide. So in a planted 10g, it's more than possible.

Keep up posted about the two females. One of our platies is pregnant too, so it'll be a big happy family in there.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i will keep up updated about the other 2 female,good luck with yours, do you leave the fry in the tank or use breeding nets/traps?after watching the tank for 2 hours, i really think now they look a lot bigger than new born, i just cant think how i missed then, they are very good hiders,i give them that.they are only 2. funny how now i know they are there, i can see them a lot more now and even watch them feed on small bits of flakes that have driffed down. cant wait for them to get bigger, it will be fun to see what colors i get.
    bettaboy691

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    Ours are big enough to eat small bits of flake food and gulp down a blood worm. It's real funny actually, it's like sucking down a spagetti as long as you are tall (and as big as your arm!). They really have a lot of room to pack in the food.

As for the newborn, we just let them roam free in the tank. We don't have the time or space to setup another aquarium to raise them in. We also bought a small catfish to gobble up the little guys because we don't want the 10g getting over populated and it saves us from having to fish them out and kill them.

Our female is due in about two weeks and the catfish should finish quarantine on one week, so he'll be there to greet the new arrivals. As for the four that are already in there, they better hurry up growing, or they'll make a nice snack for the catfish too.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    hey sasquatch, you asked me to keep you updated about my platies...well here i am.my orange female platy has given birth today,compeared to the new fry the older ones before i am certain they as last times,they are so much bigger and are easy to watch and see eating etc.i counted about 3 new fry but im guessing a lot were hiding, i only noticed as my female was a lot thinner then she has been,ive seen a few hiding in the gravel next to the glass, at first i thought they were dead, but after a poke around, i saw them swimming.they swim in little bursts speeding over the gravel, hope some of these survive,maybe they will copy their older brothers/sisters and hide under the cave.my white female still looks thin but has a gravid spot for certain, just have to wait and see, i am pleased about the mother giving birth finally as the male might stop harrassing her as much now she has the energy to fight back,lol.hows your doing?
    bettaboy691

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the gravid spot is getting bigger. She probably has another two weeks or so before giving birth. The male has stopped harrasing her too, he's concentrating on one of the other females in the tank.

She's eating like a pig and it's not just her gravid spot that's big. But that's good, it'll mean nice health babies. It'll also reduce her stress while giving birth and she'll make a quicker recovery.

We'll keep you posted.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    As promised, here's an update.

We spotted fry in the tank yesterday, so the female has given birth. We only spotted 3-4, but her gravid spot is still pretty big, so she could release some more.

We didn't spot any today when we looked. So either they're hiding or the catfish did his job.. The other three that had survived quarantine are also swimming about and seem to be growing fine.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    great !