· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Post Bi-Daily Routine

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, I'm still very early on into my cycling, but I think I've got the hang of it now.
    Here's what I've started doing, bi-daily:

I check the ammonia levels in the tank. As long as it's not too high (above 0.25) I'll leave the tank till the next day to change the water.

The next day, I change a certain percentage of water, given the ammonia/nitrite levels aren't too high the day before. I was thinking 25% would be the usual.

Rinse and repeat. Literally.

What do you guys think, am I doing this correctly?

Awards Showcase

and here's to the next 20,000! - RiversGirl 20,000 post's 'NUFF SAID" ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 TGIF and thanks for the rep :-) - Taurus TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    for being an awesome fish friend! - nickellmama27 Thx for all your help! - BluewaterBoof it's the weekend - cm12setx Thanks for the rep brother ;-) - steeler58 Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger 
    Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger Just because ;-) - steeler58 Thank you for helping with my filter problem! - showmebutterfly Happy Saturday back at you ;-) - steeler58 Sorry, no blue shrimp, but here's because you have N. davidi variants! - Anders247 
    Thanks for all the thumbs up! - Boundava An essential for the weekend :-) - Taurus thanks for the brisket instructions!  yum - RiversGirl Hope you have a great Memorial Day ;-) - steeler58 Singin in the rain.. just singin in the rain... - showmebutterfly 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Bi-daily = twice a day

You are changing the water twice in one day?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

2 Not allowed!
    When cycling with fish, you need to change the amount of water based on the test results with the goal of reducing the ammonia and/or nitrites to 0.25ppm or below. For example, if your ammonia is at 1ppm, then you need to complete a 75% water change to bring is back down to 0.25ppm

I would suggest to check your parameters no less than once a day and change water as needed
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Bi-daily = twice a day

You are changing the water twice in one day?
    Oh sorry, I mean "Two-Day Routine"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    When cycling with fish, you need to change the amount of water based on the test results with the goal of reducing the ammonia and/or nitrites to 0.25ppm or below. For example, if your ammonia is at 1ppm, then you need to complete a 75% water change to bring is back down to 0.25ppm

I would suggest to check your parameters no less than once a day and change water as needed
    So I could very well end up changing the water once a day? That's a bit of a hassle, but very possible.

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, you very well end up changing water every day. This is why many people complete a fishless cycle.

Just keep in mind you are doing it to keep your fish alive. That might help to make it seam less of a chore
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

and here's to the next 20,000! - RiversGirl 20,000 post's 'NUFF SAID" ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 TGIF and thanks for the rep :-) - Taurus TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    for being an awesome fish friend! - nickellmama27 Thx for all your help! - BluewaterBoof it's the weekend - cm12setx Thanks for the rep brother ;-) - steeler58 Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger 
    Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger Just because ;-) - steeler58 Thank you for helping with my filter problem! - showmebutterfly Happy Saturday back at you ;-) - steeler58 Sorry, no blue shrimp, but here's because you have N. davidi variants! - Anders247 
    Thanks for all the thumbs up! - Boundava An essential for the weekend :-) - Taurus thanks for the brisket instructions!  yum - RiversGirl Hope you have a great Memorial Day ;-) - steeler58 Singin in the rain.. just singin in the rain... - showmebutterfly 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    When doing a fish-in cycle (whether to start a cycle, or having just learned about cycling), it is in the fish's best interest to change at least some water daily...as a guide for how much to change, check your params as Cliff suggested, and act accordingly.

Water changes never hurt....and almost always certainly help...done the right way, and with the right conditioner.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Yes, you very well end up changing water every day. This is why many people complete a fishless cycle.

Just keep in mind you are doing it to keep your fish alive. That might help to make it seam less of a chore
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Water changes never hurt....and almost always certainly help...done the right way, and with the right conditioner.
    This is really good advice to keep in mind, thanks.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    More than welcome...

0 Not allowed!
    Keep us up to date on your progress