· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Sick Coreys

1. Unhappy Sick Coreys

0 Not allowed!
    I hope someone can help me I am at a loss here.
    I have a large tank, I estimate it is 45-50 gallon (was given to me).
    It originally had 9 coreys in it, but I moved 2 to my 35 to help with some cleaning issues.
    The remaining 7 have begun to act strangely and have some weird markings on them.
    As far as their behavior they do not dash around the tank like they used to nor do they scurry around the bottom of the tank scouring for food. They all seem to be congregated on one side of the tank together.
    In regards to their physical appearance the best way I could describe it is in two ways. Some of them look like they have white stickers or thorns stuck in them all over. But then some look like what your skin would look like if you had a peeling sunburn. Not all of them are affected by this, with two exceptions it seems to be affecting the larger ones.
    When I first noticed this issue last week I did a partial water change (did not want to stress them out more) and added some ick medication. That seemed to address the issue until it resurfaced yesterday and today. So this time I added some antifungal medication along with some water clarfier that said it can help restore the fishes slime coating.

I dont want to lose these as I believe I have an entire family of Coreys that have been breeding in this tank.
    Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. Default sick corey pics

0 Not allowed!
    here are a cpl of pics of my coreys that i mentioned in my previous posting
    i know the pics arent great i had to use my camera phone
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Generally you will not have ill fish if you have good water conditions for them. Please check for ammonia and nitrites.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Hobbs....sounds like you have some water issues here. What is your maintenance schedule like? How often and how large are your water changes? If you don't have one, buy a liquid testing kit and check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. At this point, a large water change will probably help some, but you need to know where you stand with all of this. Some assistance may be given to your fish with some stress coat. Adding random medications without knowing what is wrong will only add to the stress of the fish.....and only adding them once when most medications need to be done over a period of days/weeks, not just one dose. It would kinda be like you being prescribed a course of antibiotics for an infection and you only take them the first day.....really isn't going to do much for you.
    Kimmer

0 Not allowed!
    can't really add too much here. kimmers and hobbs provided very good info. thosewhite "spots" are more then likely the disease ich, more than likely due to water quality. ich is easily treated with meds most of the time

6. Default tested the water

0 Not allowed!
    Lost one of the coreys overnight. :(
    I tested the water and its kinda hard to follow this rather cryptic color chart that came with the test, but it looks like the water is between a 4.5 to a 6. From reading the materials that came with the kit that sounds really high. As far as my water changing history I try to do a 25% change every month, someone told me that was right, if not please correct me. I was planning on doing another water change today, maybe more aggressive (50%) since the ammonia level is so high. I will wait till I get a response before doing that. I am also going to be replacing the filters on the biowheel this afternoon, thats a normal thing though. I didnt mean to upset anyone when I mentioned the course of action ive taken (the meds), I dont know much about fish diseases. The test kit came with some stuff that is supposed to lower the ph in the water. Would it be a good idea to hold off on the water change and add the meds or go ahead with a water change and then add the meds?
    Just so you will know this is what is in the tank.
    6 coreys
    1 angelfish
    2 silver dollars
    2 clown loaches
    5 black skirt tetras
    1 zebra tetra

Here is a pic, maybe someone can help me estimate the size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    well, it's a bowfront aquarium, that's a certainty. if you measure the length, width, and depth we can figure it out. or you can just plug in the measurements into the calculator link in the menu located at the left of your screen on this forum. here's the link-- http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/calculator.html

8. Default tank size

0 Not allowed!
    its funny right after i posted that i found the calculator (nifty tool) and it said it is a 45 gal tank
    now its kinda hard to get an exact measurment since it does bow out so i think it is a 45-50 gal tank

9. Smile update

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to let you know I went ahead and did a 15 gallon water change.
    After running two heaters for close to 2.5 hrs the water heated to around 76 and the coreys seems to have gone back to the old selves (scrounging the bottom and occasionally darting to the top of the water)
    I also cleaned out some debris that I didnt know was there so that may help too. I did notice that one of my clown loaches has some faint white splotchy looking areas on one side. I am not sure what this is. There is a piece of ornamentation that they both hide in so he may have grazed himself on it, I will keep an eye on him. If it gets worse I will post it in the appropriate forum.
    Thank you to all that helped, oh the fish say thank you too lol.