· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Whats going on with the Cycle now?

0 Not allowed!
    I been fishless cycling since around Dec 2nd and I didn't get any nitrite reading till the end of Dec. Finally I did and they shot through the roof within a few days going up to 5ppm. Around the time 2-3ppm of ammonia was dropping to 0ppm after about 24 hours or so. Once it did I bumped it back up and continue checking it and the nitrites. I only checked the nitrites ever couple days. Well past 3-4 days the Ammonia barely moved and right now it stays at 1ppm or little lower. After checking it this morning and seeing 1ppm I thought well nitrites I am sure is still through the roof but no they are now at 0ppm which is suppose to be a good thing, yet the ammonia remains.

Anyone know what could be up?

Link to my original post:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=34760
    Last edited by snipesxxx; 01-20-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley 
    Thanks for all! - saurjusa I'm getting myself a school of these guys!!! lol! - Alfcea You need a bigger school! - The Red Severum Have a gift my friend - Tolley Thought you could use something new. - oldhead 
    getting a bigger school... - Alfcea Happy X-mas - William Thank you!  Also a very merry christmas to you xxx - Fishalicious Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum Merry Christmas !!! - Tolley 
    Have a Wonderful Holiday! - Northernguy Happy Belated New Years - W_Oz Thanks for the positive feedback! - rageybug just sharing the wealth! - rageybug Thanks for the nom and the kind words! - Brookfish 

0 Not allowed!
    The ammonia is being metabolized. No worries. Just do not add any ammonia any more. After a large (40%) water change you should be able to start adding fish safely. I wouldn't add too many, but you will be fine.
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, Windeløv's Fern

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfcea
    The ammonia is being metabolized. No worries. Just do not add any ammonia any more. After a large (40%) water change you should be able to start adding fish safely. I wouldn't add too many, but you will be fine.
    how many would be safe to add to a 29gal to start? Say some barbs or something.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    BTW what do you mean when you say the ammonia is being metabolized?

0 Not allowed!
    I am totally right on with Alf!
    All you did was add too much ammonia when you started seeing nitrites. This is why the ammonia should be dropped way back at this time.

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley 
    Thanks for all! - saurjusa I'm getting myself a school of these guys!!! lol! - Alfcea You need a bigger school! - The Red Severum Have a gift my friend - Tolley Thought you could use something new. - oldhead 
    getting a bigger school... - Alfcea Happy X-mas - William Thank you!  Also a very merry christmas to you xxx - Fishalicious Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum Merry Christmas !!! - Tolley 
    Have a Wonderful Holiday! - Northernguy Happy Belated New Years - W_Oz Thanks for the positive feedback! - rageybug just sharing the wealth! - rageybug Thanks for the nom and the kind words! - Brookfish 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by snipesxxx
    BTW what do you mean when you say the ammonia is being metabolized?
    Oh, sorry, I meant to say that the ammonia is being transformed into nitrites... and eventually nitrates.
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, Windeløv's Fern

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So is it ready for fish or no? Someone on another forum said its not cycled yet.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by snipesxxx
    So is it ready for fish or no? Someone on another forum said its not cycled yet.

Do you have nitrate?
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah 80 or so.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah..... Do a huge water change. I'd go with 80 percent or so, which will take care of the excess ammonia and start adding fish. You probably just added too much ammonia is all. Even a well cycled tank can only eliminate so much within a certain amount of time. Get some fish! you did it!! Make sure the nitrate is below twenty and start stocking. Being that you have been feeding the crap out of the bacteria you could probably add quit a bit. Some even do it the way you did on purpose (adding more ammonia than needed) so they can fully stock the tank.Anyway, congrats.
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll