· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default How can i take a professional photo of my tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I was getting close to taking a good photo of my tank then i checked out this site I've had bookmarked a while now and I realized I've got some work to do.

First here's my best current shot as well as the website I'm referring too.
    http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...=afa_portfolio

Things i KNOW i need to do

1. clean the tank to perfect.
    2. take the equipment out during the shot. I don't like seeing the intake/output or wires...
    3. Transplant some Val's to the right side to fill in the gap.

Things I'd like to change.
    1. How can I make it perfectly black in the background? The reflection aspect to some shots are pretty sweet but with my floating plant might not be possible.

2. How can I make it so my floating plants aren't super blazing white while still lighting my tank enough to take the photo?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know I only have a tiny little digital camera and won't get the same results of huge fancy cameras but I know I can do better with the presentation of my tank.

For the background i only have some cheap construction paper but maybe i need to get a real black one? or a black blanket and a way to make the lighting go ONLY into the tank by blocking it from going anywhere else.

EDIT
    ALSO i notice a lot of those shots use white backgrounds. I wonder if i should try that?
    Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 01-18-2009 at 01:38 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    SWEET!!!

Just found this website online and it looks like it gives some easy things i can do to make my shots better.

The back lighting really made me happy since i'm space limited behind my tank but they just have a small light right below the tank pointing up. And i have some of that lying around the house.

I just need to find a white/black cloth as a backdrop and take away my background

http://www.slipperylittlesuckers.com..._from=&ucat=2&

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats a pretty good photo to me
    currently:20 gallon tank with:
    3 african dwarf frogs
    1 bristlenose pleco
    7 swordtails
    4 hengli rasbora
    1 platy

ac50filter
    aqueon quietflow 20 filter.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dancethenparty
    thats a pretty good photo to me

But compared to the photos on that website....not even close.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...=afa_portfolio

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi.

You will find that pics like in the link are taken with a pro camera and also shot in a setting called Raw. With a Raw setting you take the shot and then edit the image in an image editing programme like photoshop. With a Raw image you can edit out all the mistakes so the tank looks pristine. 3/4 of the battle though is getting your tank to look like that in the first place. Yours is not a bad shot at all for a point and shoot camera.Very nice set up

0 Not allowed!
    That are you talking about? That photo is kick- butt beautiful.

0 Not allowed!
    Did a quick little fix...

Before

After
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! How did you fly to the US, take pictures, and fly back so fast? It's quite a difference with the back being black--everything pops now!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, to take a professional photo, all you need to do is become a professional!

Sorry, but it's as simple as that really (which isn't all that simple).

There's a reason these people get paid for their work.

To get the perfect photo you need the proper light and equipment for the shot, and you need the knowledge to know how it's all going to come together in the end to get the shot you wanted.

No amount of photoshop will ever stand up to a well taken photo, and a well taken photo can go a lot farther in photoshop.

They probably use special lighting for those photographs and have reflectors all around the tank just out of frame to make sure they get the light exactly where they want it.

Then the photographer probably selects a specific lense or light filter which will bring out and and balance all the right colours, or achieve a certain effect.

With a high-quality photograph and a powerful computer, the photo is probably edited by a professional who has years of experience to get the most realistic and subtle touch-ups to the photo to make it absolutely perfect.

In short, the photo you showed isn't bad at all. If you want to get serious about controlling your shots though, you're going to have to invest in some proper photography equipment. But experimenting with light sources in the meantime can produce good results as well.

A very easy way to get a bit more dramatic shading or highlighting in your photos is with the burn and dodge tool in photoshop. Give these tools a try and learn how they work. I've found them useful.

The other important thing is to just learn your camera. Take a whole bunch of pictures of different things and see how they come out. See what your flash brings out and doesn't bring out.

I've seen plenty of amazing photos taken with nothing but the flash and macro functions of the camera, and creative use of room/desk lights.

If you're serious about photography though, do some proper reading and learn how to work with light and the camera.
    Last edited by Glub; 01-20-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"